Friday, August 22, 2014

The First Week of Clark's Senior Year (Or, How He's Burned Out on PNB Sandwiches in His Lunch After Just 3 Days)

It's Friday of the first week of school. Thank.the.Lord. Thought it would never get here.

I have loooooooved reading all of the first day/first week posts on social media. The pictures have all been so cute. Seeing all of the traditions that I did when my kids were younger...precious.

And now in the words of Paul Harvey is "the rest of the story."

Because those first day pictures? I did that...for all 4 of our kids...every.single.year. We didn't have Pinterest or cute signs or social media where we could post them for all the world to see 3 seconds after we took them. We had a C-A-M-E-R-A...and it used FILM (Google it if you don't know what that is) (ha). And we had the local WAL-MARKS...or one of those little 1-hour photo places...and you better believe that there was a LINE OUT THE DOOR on the first morning of the first day of school.

I just realized that I have now turned into the "we-walked-2-miles-in-the-snow-to-school-back-in-my-day-and-it-was-uphill-both-ways" person.

Saw-ree.

It just happens so fast...life. Because it just seems like yesterday when I was cutting sandwiches into the shapes of dinosaurs for my kids' lunches, or gluing macaroni "hair" onto a paper plate. I can remember counting out 100 Hershey kisses for one of my kids to share on the 100th day of school party. I remember the special dinners and how I tried to celebrate the little things and make every day fun and happy.

Let me just give you a little reality check on what is going on over here.

I have a Senior. A Senior BOY. Altho he has experienced his share of all the happy memories I could possibly create for him, the past few years...he could really care less about any of it. Or, he acts that way. It almost makes me want to just give up...but it's like I told my daughter the other day: Motherhood can be a thank-less and unappreciated role...at times. Because those times when your kids are young and they think you are THE BOMB and hang on every word you say...those days are short. And then the rolling of the eyes start, or they'll "huff" when you ask them to do things...and then, over time, they have the nerve to (wait for it) have their own thoughts and opinions. Ugh. And those thoughts and opinions may not only cause conflict, they may be completely opposite of what you have taught them, what you believe in your core. This can lead to major stress and conflict. Not that you are always fussing...I don't mean that. I just mean that when kids are little, they typically do what you say and they believe whatever you say...and when they are older and challenge that, even when the challenge is legitimate...it's just...I can't think of the right word. Mentally taxing, maybe? Basically, over time, I think their main goal is to wear.you down.

Mission accomplished.

But, I told Holly...The little things I do for the them, the big things I do, the things I say, the things I give, the sacrifices I make...I feel called by and accountable to God to do them. So that's why I make the lunches and I write the notes and why I walk a kid out to the car every morning and why I wait up for kids at night and why I text them first thing in the morning and why I spend countless hours they don't even know about lifting them up in prayer...whether I ever get a "thank you," or a hug or a wave or not. It's what I have to do. I am Mom.

On the first day of school, I got up and made chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast. I also started to make the first lunch of the first day of Clark's last year of school. He said, "oh, B-T-DUBS...you don't have to make my lunch...Faith (the girlfriend) is bringing lunch to me."

Oooooooooookay.

On the first NIGHT of the first day of Clark's last year of school...I made a special dinner...all things I know he loves, complete with one of his favorites, homemade chocolate pudding. I got, "I think I'm gonna eat with Faith tonight."

Ooooooooookay.

On the second day of school, I packed his lunch and planned another dinner I know Clark loves: grilled burgers and hot dogs, and a cheese dip that is his absolute favorite. Again I got, "I think I'm gonna eat with Faith tonight."

Oooooooookay.

On the third day of school, I made his lunch, and I did not make any dinner. I threw food out on the floor and said, "eat if you want...I don't even care," and then I left.

I'M KIDDING.

Except for the leaving part. I have choir practice on Wednesdays.

(ha)

With our daughter, I was able to be more involved with all of the Senior stuff. I loved the excitement of it all. With our last two boys, tho...I got nothin'. Seriously, they could care less about all the "fluff" and pomp and circumstances associated with the senior year of school. I don't "get" them at all.

And, in other news, after THREE DAYS OF SCHOOL, Clark informed me that he was "burned out" on having peanut-butter sandwiches in his lunch. 

(I just need you to know that I am slow-blinking him right now)

So, to all of you Moms out there in the trenches of trying to figure out what letter of the alphabet your kid is on this week...or trying to pack a somewhat nutritious lunch out of two carrot sticks and a heel of bread...or frantically running BACK up to the school with another outfit for your child because you had no idea it was picture day until you saw all of the OTHER KIDS getting out of their cars wearing their BEST school clothes and your child is wearing a green t-shirt that says, "John Deere" on the front (been there, don't ask)...I raise my Diet Coke up to you to say, "HANG IN THERE!" And "YOU ARE DOING A GREAT JOB!"

"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up..." 1 Thessalonians 5:11

No comments:

Post a Comment