Wednesday, August 6, 2014

More of Joshua's Thoughts on the devil

So, yesterday, I had to go into Lifeway and pick up a couple of books for gifts. I bought two more copies of Annie Downs' Let's All Be Brave, and one copy of Kelly Minter's Wherever The River Runs. I am super excited to read Kelly's book because I picked it up on a whim, and then got home and read Melanie's recommendation of the book.

I sure hope the Lifeway in Little Rock, Arkansas restocks it's shelves, because they only had two copies of this book and I bought both of them!

Joshua likes Lifeway. Typically when we get into the store, I go my way and he goes his way...and we meet up in a few minutes. Note: there is never a time when I don't know exactly where he is in the store...let me make that clear.

Once a mom, always a mom...

He typically goes straight to the "man books."

This can be tricky, because he likes to look at the books on leadership and relationships. The one that he's been reading lately is Jim's copy of "Wild At Heart" by John Eldredge. Yesterday, he found the WAH book on audio, and said he was going to put it on his Christmas list. I haven't read this book, but I would bet there is a section on "intimacy in marriage"...and let me tell you, if there is...there is no way I am buying that book in audio form for Joshua.

EEEK!

Of course, if he tells MAMMAW JACK, she will run out and get it for him anyway...just like she did with some movies we told him he was not allowed to watch:

-Passion of the Christ (scenes are too intense for him);

-Harry Potter (she bought him some movies and the ENTIRE book series...it was packaged in a little "chest" that's designed to look like some of the book chests in the movie...we weren't sure how he would handle some of the darker parts of these movies, or how it might affect him...would he be able to discern "pretend" from real...would he view God as a "wizard" and prayer as "magic"...he didn't);

-Twilight (especially the one where the girl is pregnant with some sort of demon child...I haven't seen this movie, just the previews).

Joshua can look at books for a lonnnnng time, but we had Clark with us and Clark was ready.to.go. As we were leaving the "man book" section, Joshua pointed to one that had something about "blood moon" in the title.

When we got home, we went swimming. Joshua started asking me all kinds of questions about the blood moon book. I told him that the Bible talks of the moon turning blood red in the end times. He asked if we were living in the end times, and I said that we are closer now than we've ever been. I don't really know how to explain something to him that I don't fully understand. I'm not an end-times scholar or anything.

Jim has a friend who told us one day, "there are all kinds of really smart people who believe this and that about the end times..." He said, "I'm a panhellinist...I believe it's all gonna PAN OUT in the end..."

Hahahahahahahaha...

That's me.

So, Joshua is asking me what is going to happen and I tell him, "I don't understand what all will happen or when...I just hope I'm not here for the bad part." I just didn't want to go into the opening of the scrolls and the angels and the horses and all of that.

He says, "what WILL happen?"

Me: "I'm not exactly sure of everything, but I know there will be a big war."

Joshua: "well, DUH."

Me: "And God will defeat the devil."

At this point, he mumbled something about "just in case he comes back."

I said, "oh...there's no coming back for the devil. Once he is defeated by God, he is gone for good. FOREVER."

Joshua said, "I want to fight the devil. I will pull out my sword of truth and chunk it right into his heart. Then I'll look at God and say, "there you go, God...finish him off."

"The sun will become dark, and the moon will turn blood red before that great and glorious day of the Lord arrives." Acts 2:20

1 comment:

  1. Love that! I have Kelly Minter's book on my list to read. I did her Bible study on Ruth, and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete