Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Fall Semester at Therapeutic Recreation! 2014 Edition.

This is the day Joshua has been waiting for for over a month: the day his Therapeutic Recreation group started back. He could hardly wait! He has been counting down the days and talking non-stop about it, and it was finally here!

And then Joshua started getting all anxious and feeling sick, like he's been doing for the past 3 weeks. He does not handle change well, and he's had several unsettling things happen recently.

I noticed when he came downstairs that he was wearing gym shorts and a t-shirt. That should've been my first clue...and it was. Joshua typically wears shorts that button and zip, and shirt that he tucks in all preppy-like.

I told him that he had other clothes in the dryer, but he said, "I slept in these so they'll be fine." Second sign. He SLEPT in them and they'll be FINE?

Ummm...no ma'am, that NEVER happens.

On the way to Little Rock, which is about a 35 minute drive from where we live, he was very quiet. He coughed a couple of times and was holding his seat-belt away from his stomach...a sure sign that he wasn't feeling well. I told him that if he wasn't feeling well, we could just go back home...and asked if he wanted to do that. He said, "no."

I told him that he was going to HAVE to get control of himself and find ways to calm himself down. I just felt so bad for him, because he can't really put it all together like you and I can. And, it's a fine line between ignoring it and hoping he forgets about it and gets over it on his own...and making it into an even bigger thing by offering helpful tips and suggestions for dealing with anxiety. Because the FRIENDS? Mountain? Mole-hill? They're making one.

They will run with it and there is no going back.

About 10 minutes out, I turned on the FROZEN cd that he loves, and he kinda-sorta sang alone. He still wasn't himself.  When we got to the TR Center, I had to pray over him before we even went in. I told the Alanna, the director, what was going on with him. She said that maybe after his routine starts back, he will snap out of whatever is going on. I hope so. I stood in the office and looked to the back of the Center. Joshua was calmly going from one FRIEND to another, giving hugs and talking. He looked perfectly fine.

And when I picked him up this afternoon, he said he'd had a great day! Thank you, Lord, for hearing our prayers.

On the way home, I got to hear all about his day...who did what and about all the drama.

At one point, we got to talking about the Star Wars movie that they are making, Episode 7. He said, "I can't believe Harrison Ford is gonna be in this movie. He is ODE (old). He is grayer than DAD."

I'm sure Jim will love hearing this.

He said, "I don't know about Princess Leia."

I said, "I've seen her...she looks older and more "medium-set." (Joshua's word for someone who is a little heavier than he is..."medium-set")

He said, "In udder words, she let herself go."

And then he burst into laughter.

Hoping tomorrow is a good day as well! :)

"Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days." Psalm 90:14

No comments:

Post a Comment