Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Enough

I've noticed a familiar topic in many of the blogs I read: ENOUGH.

As in, we do enough, we go enough, we have enough...we ARE enough.

The fact that this is being echoed everywhere tells me that we are not teaching this well.

Maybe we aren't living this well.

This is all really surprising, since our country seems to be going away from the whole work-hard/study-hard and you can get ahead mentality...to the whole "just-do-enough," "everyone wins," and "someone else will pay for it" mentality.

And we are getting away from the whole "all men are created equal," to people killing babies they don't want...and abandoning less than perfect babies in hospitals...and abuse that we blame on our pasts...or on society.

Maybe it's that no one really understands the definition of "enough."

My dictionary defines it as, "as much or as many as required."

My mind defines it as "what you need to get by." Like, GOOD enough.

Like, why try to make a 100% on a test when 90% is also an A...it's "good enough." Or, in college, a C is "good enough" to pass a class. Or, when you pour liquid into a glass, you don't pour too much...or it will spill all over the table. You just pour enough.

What does the Bible say?

"Give, and you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full—pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, running over, and poured into your lap. The amount you give will determine the amount you get back.” Luke 6:38 

I don't know. I do want to teach my girl...and my sons...and their mates and special friends...that they are ENOUGH. 

It breaks my heart that kids don't think they are good enough...for that team, for that boy (or girl), for that club, for that college. I can hardly stand to see the pain in their eyes. They are hungry for security and acceptance. But a life like this? It leads nowhere. It leads to a life of being unsatisfied, discontent and insecure. It leads to a life of no peace, because you are always looking for something or someONE to make you feel that you are enough. 

I'm not talking about healthy competition in sports or to get into your top college. And, I'm not talking about feeling like you are good enough and don't need the Lord. OH NO, MA'AM. None of us can ever be good enough to earn our salvation...but we are precious and cherished and thought of and valued ENOUGH that God sent His ONLY SON to die on the cross for OUR SINS.

So for the kids and young-adults in my life...I want them to know that they are enough, yes. But I also want them to know they are MORE.  

They are MORE VALUABLE to God than the 1 lost sheep that the shepherd went off to find (Matt 18:12).

MORE VALUABLE than the sparrows God watches (Luke 12:7).

MORE BEAUTIFUL than the lilies of the field that God clothes (Luke 12:27).

I want them to experience and give MORE GRACE (1 Timothy 1:14). 

I want them to have a MORE ABUNDANT life while they are here on earth (John 10:10).

I want them to have MORE JOY (John 16:24), and experience MORE of the Holy Spirit (Titus 3:6).

I want them to show MORE FORGIVENESS to others (Colossians 3:13)

And I want them to acknowledge that God is able to do MORE than they could ever ask or believe (Ephesians 3:20). 

Luke 6:38 says that when you give, it will return to you in full...pressed down, and shaken together to MAKE ROOM FOR MORE. 

So, God gave to us...His Son, His grace, His forgiveness, His love, His peace...and when we share all of that with others, God will return to us even MORE.

So, for my kids...your kids...and you and I: You ARE enough...BE MORE.

"And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work." 2 Corinthians 9:8

No comments:

Post a Comment