Thursday, August 14, 2014

Joshua's Thoughts On Robin Williams

We had a good day yesterday...and by "we," I mean everyone but Jim. He had a colonoscopy. I intended to post about that today, but it will have to wait until tomorrow.

I know you can hardly wait for that., am I right?

Hahaha!

And, by the way, Jim is fine.

AND he slept all the way home from Little Rock, about a 40 minute drive. When we got into town, I went through the Chick-Fil-A drive-thru, and got breakfast to take home. Jim ate breakfast, and then slept 4 more hours on the couch.

Sign me up for the next colonoscopy.

I mean, seriously. I haven't had a nap since 1986.

Everything seemed good later in the day, so I decided to go to choir practice. When I left, Jim was milling around in the kitchen. I had set some fish fillets out, and he was going to fix fish tacos for dinner. That's one of Joshua's favorite things about Wednesday nights when I'm gone to choir: Jim cooks dinner for the two of them. Last night, Clark was there, too.

When I got home from choir, Joshua was in the bathroom. I could hear him running his bath water...and, during the course of 15-20 minutes, I heard his toilet flush 3 times.

I won't go into details, but Joshua was not well. At all. He kept saying that it was the fish tacos...that he ate a jalapeno...that he ate too much...or that he ate too fast.

It wasn't that.

I went up to check on him after I heard him making the all too familiar "hacking" noise...trying to throw up. I just couldn't figure out what was going on. I knew it wasn't the food. Holly and Aaron came over and tried to distract him by bringing their little dog. Joshua tried, but he just wasn't feeling it.

I had him come over and sit on my lap. I just wanted to see if he felt warm. I didn't want to get out the thermometer and make a big deal out of him feeling bad. The FRIENDS all love them some drama, and if he even thought he had a fever, he'd probably get on the phone and text everyone he knew, and all the FRIENDS would be in a full-out tizzy in 6.5 seconds.

He did not have a fever, but his little body was shaking all over.

Bless his heart! He was ALL out-of-sorts. I went upstairs with him to talk and, in the quiet and darkness of his room, he FINALLY spit it out...he was upset about Robin Williams.

We try to protect him from things like this, but he has Facebook...and it seemed like all the news sites were trying to out-do each other by posting the grisly parts of the story, how Robin Williams died. Joshua said, "Robin Williams took his own life and left his family to suffer his loss."

Let that sink in.

My 28 year old Downsy boy said that: he "left his family to suffer his loss."

So we had a long talk about how Robin Williams was sick. I had to keep it simple. I mean, how do you explain the unexplainable to a child-like mind?

Side note: I thought this had some good thoughts (not for Joshua...for me).

I quickly texted about 5 people and told them what was going on...and asked them to please pray for Joshua. Nothing I could do or say could calm his heart...only the balm that comes from God's people praying was going to give him peace.

Joshua stayed up pretty late. I told him if he needed me, he could come downstairs to my room. I got out sheets and stuff to make a pallet on the floor on my side, just in case. He never came.

He came downstairs this morning around 7:30. I asked him how he slept, and he said, "like a rock."

Thank you, Jesus, for hearing our prayers.

"In peace I will both lie down and sleep, for You alone, O LORD, make me to dwell in safety." Psalm 4:8

No comments:

Post a Comment