Wednesday, August 20, 2014

More Than Sparrows

I've heard it said that when you hear a Bible truth more than once from more than one source...God's trying to tell you something.

This happens to me all the time.

So, all of this stuff going on with Joshua at our church...it's hurtful, even tho it's not intentional. And it's easy to give in to the "poor me" attitude and withdraw from people...and from life.

But that's not right, is it?

And since one of my main things with Joshua is showing others all of his great qualities, and showing others that he's not all that different from the rest of us...it's not gonna be too good if I hole up in my house because someone hurt my feelings.

Last Sunday, our church participated in an annual event called "Dorm Storm." It's a bunch of our church members (like, over 250), along with members from a couple other local churches, coming together to help the freshmen move into their dorms at one of the colleges in our town. We have three universities here, and Dorm Storm takes place at the largest one. It's always a lot of fun...and very HOT. Jim and Clark, Holly and Aaron, had all signed up to help. I decided to stay with Joshua and go to church with him. I had pretty much planned to drive to church back in our "home" town, because they have a special ministries class...and, I don't know...I just wanted to be with people who know and love Joshua.

BUT, my friend was staying here with us, and the timing just wasn't working out. I'm kind of wondering if God didn't orchestrate her visit just to keep me in town.

By the time our friends left, Joshua and I couldn't make it to Sunday School, so we just went to late church. Joshua was still kind of out-of-sorts from last week...and even this week, he seemed agitated sitting in church.

Joshua really does not handle change well. Anytime we have to change something, we try to make time to prepare him for it in advance. We can't always do this, but we try.

One of the hardest things about parenting someone who has challenges is that they can't always speak for themselves...and even when they try, they aren't always sure of the words. Joshua can't tell me, "my stomach hurts because my heart is sad." Or, "my stomach hurts because I ate too much at dinner."

We try but we can't always put our finger on what is wrong...what is causing his distress.

So, this week...Joshua is just not...right. I'm hoping that when his Therapeutic Recreation group starts back next week, things will be back to normal. It's upsetting to see my normally happy-go-lucky man-child be so anxious.

The verses that kept coming back to me were the ones where Jesus tell us that we are more important than birds.

Read:

Matthew 10:29: "Aren’t two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father's will."

Matthew 10:31: "So don’t be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows."

Luke 12:6: "Aren’t five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten before God."

Luke 12:7: "And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows."

Resting in these truths today.

"And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and tomorrow thrown into the fire to heat the oven, He will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?" Matthew 6:30

No comments:

Post a Comment