Wednesday, June 18, 2014

TR-First Week of Summer Day Camp

So, yesterday was the day Joshua and the other FRIENDS have looked forward to for one month: SUMMER DAY CAMP at Therapeutic Recreation!

I realize I had set my expectations pretty high for the whole Joshua-and-Jenni-getting-along-around-others thing because of the very fun day they had here on SATURDAY.

Oh what a difference two days can make.

Joshua got up early and was so excited. Jim had a meeting in Little Rock, so he said he would take Joshua for me. YAY! So I got Clark headed off to work...and then Jim and Joshua out the door...and I waited for everyone to text me and tell me that they made it safely.

Joshua's text: "me and Dad had made it."

Sweet, right?

So when they came home, I was interested to see how it went. First, I had to hear all about Clark's day. He is working for the Therapeutic Rec Day Camp this summer. He works with the kids program, and Joshua attends the program for adults.

Clark had a BLAST! I knew he would. He came home with a ton of stories from his day. It's kind of cool because Holly and Logan have both worked this day camp in the past, and they knew some of the kids in Clark's group.

We decided to grill hamburgers and hot dogs for dinner, and everyone came over...Aaron and Holly, Clark and Faith, Joshua...and Jim and I. While we ate, Joshua proceeded to tell Jim about his day. He started with his usual, "well, after you dropped me off, we hanged around the Center for a while..."

He starts every re-cap with that same sentence.

He talked about how their group loaded up and went to the poo-ah (pool), and the "little kids group" was already there, and he got to see Clark! He said that Jenni didn't want to get in the poo-ah, but he did. And how they rode back to the Center on the vans and he got on the wrong van, because JENNI was on it...and that was miz-uh-bal (miserable). And that they had lunch, and he didn't sit by Jenni and she got mad. And how they had a brainstorming session after lunch, where the FRIENDS all got to talk about activities they would like to do during this 6 week day camp. He said that one FRIEND suggested rock-wall climbing and lunch at Tropical Smoothie, which is something their group does once a year anyway...and Jenni "threw a little hissy fit" because she didn't like that idea.

It was at this point when Holly looked across the table at me and said, "Day...ONE."

I don't get it. They are soooo sweet and lovey-dovey when they are alone together, but you put one other FRIEND into the mix, and they cannot get along.

I told him that he would not be able to go 3 days/week if he and Jenni can't be sweet. I explained how he always talks about leadership and being a leader...but he wasn't living it out in his relationship with Jenni. Because they should have each other's backs, not constantly snipping at each other all day.

*crickets chirping*

Jim just looked at me, shaking his head. I KNOW. But I just have to keep trying.

Then, just about the time I want to throw my hands up in the air, he comes in and tells me he got so full from the lunch I packed him, that he gave his brownie to Jenni.

What are you DOING to me, Joshua?

"If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men." Romans 12:18

No comments:

Post a Comment