Tuesday, June 3, 2014

First Dance and the Wedding Ring

After the wedding, we drove over to the reception, and it was beautiful. Seriously gorgeous. I felt happy. Relieved. Thankful.

Seeing all the ones who came to witness Logan and Morgan's Two-Become-One day was almost more than I could take. I looked around the room, and was overwhelmed by the graciousness of God.

We had friends there from college; a guy who was in OUR wedding; friends from when we lived in Little Rock...friends from when we lived in Searcy...friends from Bryant. Our family came from Texas and Oklahoma and Tennessee. All of them love us and love Logan.

Jim and I set out to try and speak to as many people as we could at the reception. The next thing I knew, Logan was standing beside me...reaching for my hand.

He had just danced with Morgan, and now he wanted to dance with me, while Morgan danced with her dad.

We had not talked about doing this. I WAS NOT PREPARED FOR THIS!

And even tho I was pretty much a hot mess the entire time, it seemed like everyone wanted to take pictures of us.

And even tho I was so, so, so happy for Logan and Morgan, the dance about put me over the edge. Even the band members had their "bless her HEART" faces on, as they watched me while they sang.

I never wanted it to be about me, and yet...here I was...being the biggest cry-baby ever as I pressed my face into Logan's shoulder.

I looked down at Logan's hand in mine. I looked at the gold wedding band on his finger. It was Jim's. He wore it for the first 30 years of our marriage...getting it stretched out and re-sized periodically as his fingers changed. A few years ago, his Mom asked him if he might want to wear his Dad's ring. It was just sitting in the jewelry box. Jim's Dad's fingers have gotten huge over the years, and he just didn't see the need to wear his ring. He and Jim's mom are pretty much together all the time, and when people think of him...they think of her. They are like a "set."

Jim tried on his Dad's ring and it fit perfectly, and he's been wearing it ever since.

So, Logan mentioned that he might want to wear Jim's old wedding band. He tried it on and it fit perfectly.

As we danced, I looked at the ring. I remember the day I bought it. I remember where I bought it. It was not an expensive ring, even at the time...just a simple gold band. No engraving. No detail. No diamonds. Just what a college girl could afford.

We hadn't thought to have it polished for Logan before the wedding. It looked a little worse for wear. I could faintly see a few scratches on it. I thought...it's a lot like our lives...a little battered, a little scratched up...but it's still gold. It's still worth something to us.

I love that ring. I love the man I gave that ring to...34 years ago. And I love the son who is wearing it now.

"...they are no longer two but one..." Matthew 19:6

2 comments:

  1. This is the sweetest ever! Alayna, Little Rock

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! A Little Rock friend! :) Thank you for your comment! :)

      Delete