Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Logan and Morgan's First Home!

We interrupt regular JOSHUA AND CAMP BARNABAS programming...to tell what we did yesterday. Actually, I may be about at the end of the camp posts...might have one more. Maybe.

We got a special treat on Monday when Logan and Morgan came to spend the night with us for the first time as a married couple! They didn't get in until late, so Jim and I were the only ones up. Joshua had already gone to bed, and Holly and Aaron had already gone to their home...and Clark is at the beach this week.

It was great to see them, and to hear all about their honeymoon trip. They made it FINE to the Dominican Republic and back...thanks to the consistent and worried prayers of their Moms.

They spent the morning here, packing and loading their cars with stuff from Logan's bedroom. I could hardly stand it.

(sniff)

And then they were OFF to their new apartment to set up their new home!

And by "new," I mean that it's new to THEM. It's an apartment in married housing on their college campus, so it's most definitely NOT new.

Holly and I were invited to go, but she had a test...so I told L/M to go on ahead, and we would come later. After they left, Joshua and I headed to Target to buy sheets. Morgan said that when they signed up for the apartment, it said 2 bedroom/1 bath/washer/dryer. They took that to mean that there was, in fact, a washer and dryer in the actual apartment. BUT what it REALLY meant was that there was the CONNECTION for a washer and dryer in the actual apartment. They'll know to ask about that next time.

They'll also know to check and see...if they have queen sheets and bedding and a queen-sized bed frame...that the mattress they pick up from someone's storage building is ALSO queen-sized. Because if it's a FULL sized...things won't fit.

Not fussing about them. It totally sounds like something I would do.

Anyway, they didn't have sheets for their bed, and I couldn't stand to think they were going to just put sheets from the package straight on the bed. The laundry-mat is across the street from their apartment, and I knew they wouldn't have time to do laundry on the day they were moving in.

We picked up sheets and a rug and some nails and hooks and things like that...and came straight home. I threw the sheets in the washer, and was able to wash and dry them before we left. When Holly got home from nursing school, she and Joshua and I headed up to help the kids move in. It's about a 2 hour, 10 min drive. ON A GOOD DAY.

And while I thought yesterday was a GOOD DAY, or it ended UP being a good day, weather-wise, it was not. This little fact was not known to us...even tho we checked the weather before we left...until we found ourselves driving in the middle of a dang hurricane nearly the whole way.

Not an actual hurricane. We live in Arkansas. But it was every bit like I imagined a real hurricane would be. Wind, blinding rain, street flooding, thunder, lightning. The only thing that kept me from just pulling off the road was that I didn't know how long it would last. I always feel like a sitting duck on the side of the road, anyway.

AND, the only thing that kept me from turning around and coming back home was that I didn't want to drive BACK through all of that mess again.

It is at this point that I would like to thank the good people at the Honda Pilot store...for putting the little tv screens in their vehicles. We have never had one before...and it wasn't even on the list of things we were looking for in a vehicle. Our kids are all older, and I kind of thought those were mainly to entertain younger kids on trips.

WRONG.

I have to agree with my mother-in-law, who said that our vehicle was worth what we paid...just so Joshua could watch movies. He put in a dvd when we started our trip yesterday, and even tho we were about to be blown away, he was blissfully unaware of the danger...which made me a LOT less nervous.

We finally got to the apartment. The U-HAUL was parked out front. Morgan came out and said they had decided to maybe WAIT on unloading until tomorrow.

And that's how Holly and I fell over dead.

Seriously, we just braved the wind and rain and...well, just see what I just wrote in my hurricane paragraph...it's exhausting to repeat it...to get here and you are telling me "UM NEVERMIND?"

I don't THINK so.

And bless their hearts...they were trying to unload as much as they could from the trailer by themselves and they were both soaking wet. Head-to-toe. We started helping them, and got most of it into the house. They don't really have that much stuff. Logan called a friend from church and asked if he could come help for 20 minutes, and he did! And he helped get the couch and two pieces of furniture up the stairs to the second floor. Yes, they were on the 2nd floor...in the rain. OF COURSE.

We couldn't stay long, because Holly had a final today and needed to study. We just had a little over 2 hours, but we made a good dent in getting them started. Morgan's mother was also there helping.

We are so excited for Logan and Morgan. I think they will be so happy in their little place. I was impressed with them yesterday, because you know that tempers can flare when you're frustrated...and aren't moving days just the worst?

Or maybe that's just me and Jim.

We've had several moving days, and I remember them being pretty frustrating.

But Logan and Morgan were sweet with each other, and to everyone else, the whole time...and it was great to see them working together.

Morgan sent us a couple of pictures last night, and they had fixed up their bedroom so cute. They had gotten some duplicate wedding gifts (like 3 toasters!), and they were busy taking those back last night as well.

So excited for them!

"Let your wife be a fountain of blessing for you..." Proverbs 5:18

No comments:

Post a Comment