Saturday, June 14, 2014

Joshua and Jenni's Very Fun Day

So, I decided last night to get in touch with Jenni's mom, to see if Jenni was available to spend a few hours with us today. We have a wedding to attend tonight, but nothing at all this morning or afternoon.

Thankfully, Jenni was free, and she has been here with us for several hours. Joshua is thrilled.

In the car, Jenni was asking Joshua all about camp. Jenni didn't get registered in time, and so she is having to go a different week from Joshua for the first time ever. Joshua proceeds to tell her about his "double-date" to the dance, Katherine and Julia, and Jim looked over at me and mumbled, "someone needs to tell Joshua to shut his mouth." But Jenni seemed okay with it, for the most part. Oh, she did say, "she better be glad I wasn't there" at one point, but over-all she was fine. Joshua explained that Katherine was just using him to get her own boyfriend jealous, and that she came up later and apologized for it. Joshua said he told her, "it's okay, I probably would've done the same thing."

And Jenni laughed.

WHAT?

Usually, when Joshua and Jenni have their dates, we take them somewhere...out-to-eat, to a movie, bowling...stuff like that. I've been thinking more and more that we should cut back on that, and just let them BE. We spend so much time entertaining them...and watching them like a hawk...that I'm usually a nervous wreck when the date is over.

I decided that if they want to have a "normal" relationship, like they say that they do, they need to do normal stuff like we do. You know, run to the grocery, eat a sandwich at home, watch tv, play outside, etc.

Now they do need extra...ummm...supervision, because they have ALL THE FEELINGS and don't always know the appropriate ways to express...or NOT express...them. It's been something that we, along with Jenni's parents, just don't really know how to handle and we work on it with them all the time. Joshua and Jenni want private time. They want to go into hallway, or the back patio or a bedroom...to smooch and do I don't know WHAT...I just don't want to find out.

Or walk in on it.

Because I am not a fan of them having ALL THE FEELINGS at my house.

Clark is not here, and now Logan is married...but, in the past, whenever Jenni came over, and she and Joshua were looking for a private space...Logan and Clark would run interference. Clark, especially, got ALL into it. He would be on his cell phone, like, "they are in the hallway...I repeat, THEY ARE IN THE HALLWAY."

So we ran by Subway on our way home, and just ate a sandwich at the house...which is something totally normal that we would typically do. Except that our sandwiches would be made from whatever we had here on hand, but since Jenni is our company...

And as soon as lunch was over and the table had been cleared, Joshua grabbed Jenni's hand and said, "I'm taking her upstairs to show her my bed."

And I knew that he meant he wanted to show her his NEW bed...which is different from his old bed...but I still thought that statement should be filed under "Pick-Up Lines That Work."

At our house, we don't entertain members of the opposite sex in our bedrooms. Never have. Never will. But Joshua and Jenni want to be alone. Private. Away from all the eyes. So they like to go into a room and shut the door. I don't know if that's what they think all couples do, but it's not happenin' in my house.

We don't know what would happen if we just left them alone for a period of time. I'm thinking it could go one of two ways: the way I don't want to think about or SEE...and the way where Jenni falls asleep.

Right now, they are in another room watching a movie...with the door open. And I can walk by and check on them. All I hear is giggling. And I'm thinking, "please Lord Jesus...I CANNOT HANDLE THIS!" And I hear more giggling.

Two things are in my favor. One, I got them both nice and tired. They played in the pool for a long time, and then sat out under the umbrella. When I saw that Jenni was struggling to stay awake, I suggested they come inside, change clothes...and watch a movie. Most of the giggling I can tell is related to the movie. The other giggling? I am choosing to ignore. Because MY EYEEEEES.

And now they are singing, "Love is an Open Door," from FROZEN.

Both of them are off-key and off-beat...but their voices are music to my ears. I love them so much.

"and may the Lord cause you to increase and overflow with love for one another..." 1 Thessalonians 3:12

No comments:

Post a Comment