Friday, November 14, 2014

I'm So Fancy (you already know)

You don't even wanna know what's going on around here.

Oh, wait...you DO?

Well, on Wednesday, Joshua had his Therapeutic Recreation. It was also the day that our new couch and love-seat were being delivered. Jim said he would come home and be here for the delivery, but I wanted to be here, too. It's not every day a girl gets some new furniture! Not THIS girl, anyway.

When we first bought this house and I was looking around for how to make this place a home, I came across a picture in a magazine and I thought, "THAT'S what I wanted for this room." I could just picture it. Nothing fancy...just homey.

At the time, we hadn't moved yet...we were just spending time here each day while Clark was at football. And I was doing some painting...stuff like that. All of our furniture was still in our old house...waiting for moving day. During that time, in our living room here at THIS house, we had about six chairs arranged in a circle in the middle of the floor. Six LAWN chairs. Like the kind you throw in the back of your vehicle when you're going to a soccer game.

We so klassy.

This house was very "blah" when we moved in...everything was this beige-y, off-white color and I felt like I was sinking into a pit of nothingness (see? no flair for the dramatic here)...but then my sister, Leanne, showed up with her "crew" (my other sister, Robin and her husband)...and transformed the living room and kitchen into something much better! All it needed was the new furniture from my vision...but Jim was so mean wise and said, "not right now." I mean, we did still have our other house to sell, and it ended up taking OVER A YEAR to sell it. As much as it pains me to admit it, Jim was right.

Grrr.

Nobody tell him I said that.

So we got the new couch and love-seat, and I LOVE it. For the past several years, we've used this big, gold couch that Leanne gave us. Everyone loves it because it's nice and big and comfy. So we are offering it to Holly and Aaron, and they are thrilled.

But right now, and this is the whole point of this post...in my living room, and it's not a big room...there are two couches, a love-seat and two chairs. I had pushed the big, gold couch up out of the way to fit the new couch in, and so it looked like seating at a movie. One couch right in front of another couch...in front of the TV.

But then CLARK thought it would be hilarious to turn the old couch around, which he did, so that it faced our new couch. He backed the big, gold couch up IN FRONT OF THE FIRE-PLACE...because doesn't everyone want a couch blocking their fire-place? And there is where it has been for the past two days.

Our furniture is in a square and, once you get into the square, you can never get out.

I saw a picture of Shay Shull's beautiful mantel on Instagram...all decorated for Christmas, and I just had to laugh when I looked at my living room. Because it looks practically the same.

Except not! :)

But this is my life, and this is also what you get when you have boys.

When Joshua saw the new couch, he said, "ooooo...nice."

And then he marched over to the table and wrote "new couch" on one of the construction paper "leaves," and stuck it up on the Thanksgiving Tree.

Which, speaking of the Thanksgiving Tree, Jim's leaf has been moved back to it's proper spot, and, so far...all seems well. You just never know what's going to happen when all the kids are home for the holidays. I'll never forget the year when we had one of our ministers and his wife over at the house...they were looking at the Thanksgiving Tree and commenting on all of the nice things my family was thankful for.

I may or may not have had a twinge of pride at the sweetness of my kids.

BUT THEN, they busted out laughing, and starting pointing at something on the tree. Apparently one of my rat-fink boys had written "deez nuts" on one of the leaves.

I thought we were going to have to leave the church.

"...give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." 1 Thessalonians 5:18

No comments:

Post a Comment