Saturday, November 29, 2014

Road Trippin' to Tulsa

On Thanksgiving, while 3 of our kids were gone to their other families, Jim and I started talking about maybe going to see my Dad. He just turned 78 last week. We threw around several scenarios, but the one that seemed to work the best...and would get the most participation from our children...was the one that involved us making it a "day trip."

My Dad lives in Tulsa, and it's about 4 hours each way from where we live.

So, we brought it up to our kids and 3 of them were on board.

This morning, we left our house before 8:30...Jim and I, Joshua, Clark and Faith...and went to pick up Holly and Aaron. My Honda Pilot seats 7, and we had 7 people in it. I think there are about 5 of them who would argue with the "seats 7 COMFORTABLY" part. 

But we offered for them to all ride with us because 1) we thought it would save them money, and 2) save wear-and-tear on their cars...and 3) they wouldn't have to drive.

These points will be revisited before any future travel. 

Also, 10 minutes into our trip, Jim asked me where my "off" button was...and to that, I said, "ROO."

And also, when we got home, I moved his leaf from the Thanksgiving Tree...wayyyy over to the other wall. AGAIN.

The trip up to Tulsa went really fast. When we pulled up at my Dad and Clara's house, the other kids were piling out of the vehicle going, "wow...so glad to get out of there!" Joshua looked up and said, "wow. THAT didn't take long."

Perspective.

And it helps when you are "travel-sized."

It was great to see my Dad. His health has really gone down a lot in the past few years. It's sad. He still has that same great smile and the sparkle in his eyes...and a very quick wit...but it's hard to see him so frail.

We got Subway sandwiches and brought them back and ate at their house. Clara had made cookies and I brought brownies from home. We had a great time visiting with them, and the kids loved seeing their house. Jim and the guys...well, all of us, really...except for Joshua...helped bring down their Christmas stuff from the attic. It was funny because my Dad would say, "no, we're not putting that out this year..." and Clara would say, "oh yes we are!"

Not gonna lie, the drive home was not as fun! It seemed like it took twice as long. Everyone was uncomfortable in the vehicle. When my Mom was still alive, I started buying them a piece of Snow Village every year. I said that some day, they could pass it back to me...and I would pass it on to Holly. Well, that time has come. My Dad and Clara just don't have the energy to get it all out and set it up. My Dad used to set up a train to go all around it...it was really cool. So, they gave all of those back to me this weekend, and we loaded them in every available space in our vehicle, and there was no room for anyone to move.

But we stopped for dinner and everyone kind of got their second wind, and things were better after that.

Jim found a Christmas station on the radio, and that was fun. We did almost lose Clark about 45 minutes from home, when the Chipmunk Christmas song came on. He tried to jump out the window.

JUST KIDDING.

We made it home safe and we are so thankful. We all agreed that it seemed to be about the perfect amount of time to stay at their house. With a big group, anyway. Next time, tho, we may take 2 cars.

Talking with my Dad and Clara...I never in a million years thought I would be in this situation...with my Mom already in Heaven and my Dad remarried. But it's just really sweet how God prepared the way for my Dad and Clara to be together. My parents had 4 children, and were married for nearly 40 years before my Mom died. Clara was single for 40 years, raising 5 children, after her first husband died unexpectedly. Clara and my Mom were really good friends. My Dad and Clara married in 2001. They each bring a rich and godly heritage to their marriage, and to all of us. Even tho I wouldn't have chosen this in a million years, God has truly blessed our family by their union.

So very thankful for my family. I posted a few pix on my Facebook...and on my IG martythemoose.

"'For I know what I have planned for you,' says the LORD. 'I have plans to prosper you, not to harm you. I have plans to give you a future filled with hope...'"

No comments:

Post a Comment