Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thanksgiving 2014, Or, When I Wore My PJ's All Day

It's been a quiet day.

I got up early because Clark was leaving to go spend a couple of days with his girlfriend's family. And because Logan and Morgan were leaving to go spend a couple of days with Morgan's family. And because Holly and Aaron, even tho they were in their own home, were leaving to spend a couple of days with Aaron's family.

And there remaineth Jim, Marty and Joshua, these three...

So after everyone left, I spent the rest of the day in my pajammies, bawling my eyes out.

Only half of that statement is true.

At the moment.

I always loved Thanksgiving at my Mom's house. Growing up, it was usually just our family of 6 for Thanksgiving, because we never lived close to any of our family (my Dad was in the Air Force). What I remember is that my Mom made everything special. She woke up early and started cooking...all the while lookin' pretty. She set the table with her nice China, and just as everything was coming together with the meal...she'd disappear and come back "dressed" for Thanksgiving dinner. Last year, I think I wore my blue sweat pants. And nobody cared.

But, I remember Thanksgiving at my Mom's house. How things looked...how it all tasted...how her house smelled.

Like home.

I miss her.

After she died, we started spending Thanksgiving with some good friends there in town. My friend, Paula, is a nurse, and she always volunteered to work half-a-day on Thanksgiving, because she lived in town. So, we'd load up our family and drive up to the hospital...and have dinner in the hospital cafeteria. My kids thought it was cool that they each got their own tray, and we let them get whatever they wanted for their drink. Nothing says Thanksgiving like a bottle of Dr. Pepper sitting beside your plate!

Last year, here in this home, we had 11 people around our table...sitting in mismatched chairs...and I loved it.

This year, we had 8. Our family...plus the two spouses. Clark's girlfriend, Faith, couldn't make it for dinner, but came by for a few minutes afterwards...on her way to her grandparent's house.

So much to be thankful for this year...and every year.

Last year, I started a thankful journal that I keep on my night-stand. I haven't been as faithful about writing in it lately, but it started a habit for me of not just being thankful for the obvious things that happen...but to be in a constant state of thankfulness...always looking for those quiet ways that God is providing for and protecting me.

Because God is always at work.

"For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ. It is the power of God at work, saving everyone who believes..." Romans 1:16

No comments:

Post a Comment