Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Wednesday Muffins and Green Skillets

Well, it was muffin morning today! Freaked Joshua out because I typically make muffins on Monday. You know..."Muffin Monday." On Monday, he came down the stairs and peered over the railing and sniffed. "sniff, sniff, sniff." I had to keep telling myself, "don't make eye-contact," because I KNEW that he was wanting to say, "uhhh...no muffins today?"

He made himself a pop-tart and I kept doing what I was doing...which was cookin' my fanny off. I started early and cooked quite a bit of the day on Monday...because we had all decided to have our family Thanksgiving meal on Tuesday.

I had already set the dining room table on Sunday with plates, napkins and silverware...and so we were down to about 5 forks in our silverware drawer to use on Monday and most of the day Tuesday. At one point during lunch on Tuesday, I looked up to see Jim using a spoon to eat his chicken pot-pie.

It was like Little House on the Prairie over here.

Also, another little side-note on the competition between Jim and his brother: as I was getting stuff out of the pantry and having to move things around, I kept noticing this Hershey bar. It was in a different place every time I went in the pantry. It was one of those extra, EXTRA large Hershey bars with almonds. NO WORRIES I'm gonna eat that.

Marty is not a fan of nuts in candy bars.

Except for Snicker's.

And maybe Payday's.

At one point during the day, Jim said that he had brought that giant candy bar home from the Lakehouse and had "hidden" it in the pantry...so no one else would eat it. And that he, Mr. Health-Nut himself, had eaten the whole thing himself. He said, "my Mom had a whole stack of these candy bars...SHE BUYS THEM FOR JEFFY...so I took one of them. Hee, hee, hee." He was so proud of himself, like he really did something sneaky. Nevermind the fact that his brother got an entire STACK of candy bars...Jim swiped one.

Law. Our whole family is just nutty.

And a Joshua story: we have a little butler's pantry between our kitchen and dining room. I was walking by it last night and I saw one of our frying pans...just sitting there on the shelf. I picked it up and brought it back into the kitchen...and put it up where the pans go.

This morning, Jim warmed up some of the ham from yesterday. Joshua said, "did you use your green pan?"

Jim's mom got him a green frying pan. It's green, like the color, but it's also "green" and is supposed to cook more evenly or something...I don't know. But Jim made a HUGE deal out of it (imagine that) with Clark when he was cooking something in it. He said, "YOU CAN'T USE A FORK IN MY GREEN SKILLET!" He does not want the surface scratched. Joshua did not miss any of this and took it to heart.

So Jim told Joshua, "yes, I did use my green skillet."

Later, when Joshua was unloading the dishwasher, he was putting up that green skillet. I said, "I found it in the butler's pantry...did you put it there?"

Joshua just grinned and said, "I was hiding it from Clark...for Dad."

"For the word of the LORD holds true, and we can trust everything He does." Psalm 33:4

No comments:

Post a Comment