Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Family Thanksgiving, My Dad's Birthday, and Joshua's Facebook Post

We've had a great couple of days. I've been cooking and cooking! I love it, so I've pretty much been in my happy zone. Things get crazy as I try to pull it all together to serve, but the girls will help me get it all pulled together right before we eat.

Logan and Morgan were supposed to come in tonight, but they called us last night with a surprise: they were on their way! So, we are so blessed and so thankful to have them here with us today. Holly had class Monday, Tuesday and tomorrow, and just want to say "WHY ARE YOU HAVING CLASS ON THANKSGIVING WEEK, NURSING SCHOOL?" 


We had a great meal. We enjoyed having everyone here. We were missing two of ours, plus a couple of friends who joined us last year...but couldn't make it this year. I only had 2 "fails." One was the dressing for my spinach salad. I thought I used the same recipe as always, but it did not taste the same. I was cooking about 5 other things at the same time, so maybe I missed an ingredient. I don't know. And the other one was not really a "fail." When I make my pecan pie recipe, it turns out good every time. When I make Ree's (The Pioneer Woman) pecan pie recipe, it's always kind of runny. Every time. But it's better. If that makes any sense. I even cooked it 10 minutes longer than recommended, and it still was not "set." But the ones who ate it said it tasted SO good...so it might not even qualify as a "fail."

We had turkey AND ham, mashed potatoes AND sweet potato casserole, green beans, spinach salad AND Waldorf salad, cranberry sauce, rolls and Jim's family's purple punch (purple kool-aid and pineapple juice mixed). For dessert we had pecan pie, chocolate chip bundt cake and ice-cream.

Isn't it amazing that it can take a week to prepare for a meal like Thanksgiving? From making the lists and going to the store...defrosting the turkey for 3 days, preparing side dishes in advance, cooking on the actual day. 

And then it's all gone and eaten in, like, 15 minutes.

That ain't right.

I also made Shay's chocolate chip bundt cake as my alternative dessert for the ones who don't like pecan pie. It was amazing! YUM.

So very thankful for family and friends.

Today is my Dad's birthday. I wish we could be with him to celebrate. We are going to try and go later in the week if we can. When I talked to him today, he said that his birthday and Father's Day are his two most favorite days of the year, because he gets to hear from all of his kids. Made me so sad. ;( 


Anyway, my Joshua wrote the sweetest post for my Dad today, and posted it on Facebook. It was so sweet and it made me cry. I texted my Dad's wife's daughter because I wanted my Dad to be sure and see it today. They don't check Facebook often, because they have to go all the way into the spare bedroom and TURN ON the computer. 

Bless their hearts.

So Clara's daughter read it and she cried...and then she called her mother and when she read it, she cried. Then, my Dad came in and read it and he cried. 

I'm coping it just like he wrote it:

Happy birthday to the most wisest and the bravest man. I've ever known., I'm so morphincally proud of the determination and love and service that this man who pledged to lift high our nation's flag. I want to say not just a happy birthday to a grandfather that I loved so dearly through out my 28 years that I been with. I also want to thank him. For the man I hope on day I will give my child one day after him. I will want my child one day to follow in the foot steps of my godly and wise grandfather. I will say this to pawpaw skip. Thank you for the service not just to our nation. But the most important thing that can be the highest importance of all to our family. And I speak on our family's behalf to say happy birthday. Pawpaw skip. We love you.


My Downsie-boy wrote that. My sweet man-child. We are so blessed by him, and so thankful for his life.


And then, just to end with a funny...Joshua wrote the post, and then he LIKED his own post...and then he COMMENTED on his own post. His comment was: "I'll one day name my child after him."

And then JENNI saw this and SHE said that someday in their future, they can have a son and name him Skip Lee. My Dad's name is David, but he goes by "Skip." I have no idea where the "LEE" is coming from.

So...there ya go. "SKIP LEE."

"God blesses those whose hearts are pure..." Matthew 5:8

No comments:

Post a Comment