Monday, August 8, 2016

Weekend Update: August 8, 2016

We've had such a great weekend.

Our son, Logan, and his wife, Morgan, came "home" on Thursday night. Morgan is a teacher, and Logan is in grad school, so this is probably the last time, for a while, that they'll get to be here for an extended period of time.

We were so glad to see the both of them, but we aren't fooled...the main reason they came was to see the baby.

The last time they were home, about 2 weeks ago, Rhodie was really fussy. I wrote about that here. We never could really figure out what was going on with him that made him so sad. Logan and Morgan were understanding, of course...Rhodes is just a baby. They were just a little disappointed they didn't get the snuggle time with him, that we talk about every day.

All that changed this weekend. Rhodie was his sweet, perfect self all weekend. He is such a blessing to our family.

We hung out here all weekend, at our house, or at Holly and Aaron-the-son-in-law's house. We did absolutely NOTHING but swim and play and eat and watch the Olympics. It was glorious.

Joshua LOVES it when everyone is home and we hang out together.

Jim's parents even came up to our house this weekend. That NEVER happens. Not because they don't want to, but because they are older...and it's a 1 1/2 hour drive. We had planned on going down to their house, all of us, but it sure was nice that they came to us.

The sweetest thing happened on Saturday night. I was holding Rhodes, and passed him to Morgan. I mean, I get LOTS of baby-holding time during the week. Morgan was thrilled to take him. She started talking to him, and he grinned real big at her...and it made her cry.

Logan was giving her some good-natured teasing about it. He kind of forgot that just the night before, Rhodes had grinned at him, too...and he said it made him so happy.

Hey...I get it. That big, toothless grin just melts my heart.

The only thing I wanted to do this weekend, was to get a picture of all the kids. It's going to be another busy year for all of them, and the times we have with all of them here together are going to be few and far between.

I finally got them all outside for a picture. Mumbling and goofing off and taking FOR-EV-ER to get all set up. If you have more than one child, you will understand what I'm talking about. Also? It doesn't matter that mine are all adults. My younger two boys, WHO ARE IN THEIR 20s, are constantly messing with each other...and with everyone else. They keep Aaron-the-son-in-law cracked up...which is their main goal.

They also keep Joshua in FITS, which is another one of their main goals.

When I came in and looked at the 30 pictures we took, I wanted to cry. Holly said, "hopefully tears of joy?"

Ummmm...NO.

Because the son-in-law and the daughter-in-law are smiling sweetly in every picture...while the rugrats I gave birth to are wreaking havoc on my nerves. Looking at the sky, looking at the grass, TALKING...POINTING...CHOKING...making weird faces.

What the heck?

I don't really want a formal picture. I kind of like the crazy pictures, because they really show my kids' personalities better than when everyone is standing stiff as a stick, or sitting in an awkward position, and all looking at the camera.

But...middle ground, people.

Just sayin'.

We did get a couple of pictures that are good...several that were funny (to me)...and some that I deleted.

But, on Sunday morning, between small group time and church time, the kids said they wanted to get another picture for me. We all got up from our seats in church...we left purses, Bibles, phones, etc...and filed out to the lobby...and I got another sweet picture of my family.

They are the best and I love them all so much. They are some of my greatest blessings, and I don't deserve any of them.

"The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy." Psalm 126:3

No comments:

Post a Comment