Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Rhodie's First Trip to the Big City

Today was Holly's post-delivery check-up.

I think it goes without saying...but I'll say it anyway: GONE are her days of just hopping-in-the-car to go somewhere at a moment's notice.

The whole morning was meticulously planned out...we had maps...we synchronized our watches.

I'M KIDDING.

I'm convinced that you can't plan for everything...especially when you are dealing with a baby. But, I'm also convinced that you can plan for MANY things, and that success on any outing with a baby...can be measured by the amount of planning that went into it.

So we headed out. Clark stayed at home with Joshua...so that I could go with Holly. I drove her car, and she sat in the back with Rhodes.

It's typically a 35 minute drive, and Rhodes did great. He actually slept the whole way. When we got to the doctor's office, I let Holly and Rhodes off at the door, and then I went to park. By the time I got up to the office, Holly had Rhodie out of his car-seat, and he was making all kinds of grunts.

I mean...when you gotta go...you gotta go.

We took turns trying to calm him down, and then they called her back. It was his time to eat, so she asked if she could take 10 minutes to feed him before the doctor came in...and they agreed. After he ate, I took him back to the waiting room, and tried to keep him from yacking up all that he had just eaten burp him. I got him to burp several times, but before we left the office, he had spit up on me. While we were waiting on the elevator, he spit up all down the back of Holly's shirt, and all over the floor.

I was tempted to just tell Holly, "just walk away..." but it was kind of a lot of spit-up, and it was in a hallway where people walk...and I WOULDN'T REALLY TELL HER TO JUST WALK AWAY AND LEAVE A MESS.

Unless it was poo-poo.

And she was in Kroger.

And she had no way to clean it all up.

And she had 3 other kids with her.

Hypothetical situation, totally.

We made it to the car, and we made it back to our town. We ran by the pharmacy...and then went to grab lunch at Sonic. Holly changed her Rhodie's diaper in the backseat at the Sonic. First time she's ever done that, but BEEN THERE, DONE THAT.

We spent the rest of the afternoon over at Holly's house. We all got lots of sweet snuggles from our Rhodie-man.

He is the sweetest thing. Sometimes, when I look at him, I just want to cry, because he's just so beautiful. I told Jim this, and he said, "well, he's CUTE...don't get me wrong...but I wouldn't go THAT far."

And that's why I suggested that his grandpa name should be "Grumpy."

Because Rhodie IS beautiful. :)

"Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another." 1 John 4:11

No comments:

Post a Comment