Thursday, August 11, 2016

Cleaning House, Paddling, and Deacons in the HOUSE!

So today...was a good day. I went to the grocery first thing this morning.

But not after I watched Joshua make his breakfast.

Last night, as Joshua was heading up to bed, I reminded him: "tomorrow is a pop-tart day." I didn't want him getting up and thinking I was fixing waffles and homemade whipped cream or something!

Ha!

He said, "I knowwww," with all of the enthusiasm of someone waiting at the doctor's office for a shot.

I was sitting at the kitchen table with Clark. I watched Joshua adjust the setting on the toaster FIVE TIMES before he even put the pop-tarts in...and then he adjusted it one more time before he pushed them down.

Everything is a routine to this child.

Adjust...step away...adjust...step away...

Then I went to the grocery. It is one THOUSAND degrees here...so by the time I got everything unloaded from the trunk...separated into what stays in the outside frig, and what goes in the INSIDE frig...I was wringing wet. And a little hangry. I don't know who or what made me mad, but I was definitely hungry.

What I DO know is that I forgot to get American cheese slices, which was one of the top things on my list.

I came home and made lunch, and then I held the baby while everyone ate (I offered). Holly and Rhodes had come over while I was at the store.

I was able to hold Rhodie for a couple of hours, and it was glorious!

At 3 o'clock, it was time for Rhodie to eat. I changed his diaper, gave him to Holly...and I went into cleaning mode. We were having the deacon interview committee come to our house tonight.

At our church, we have deacons...who are men nominated by our church to serve. They don't control the church or run the business of the church. They are there to serve. Jim was "ordained" years ago by the church in the town my kids call "home."

He was nominated here at our church, and they sent him a lengthy questionnaire to fill out...and then said they wanted to come to our home to visit.

We were a little confused by the whole thing, because Jim has been through this process before...BUT, this is a different church, and we've only been here for 4 years. They don't know him like they knew him at our "home" church.

So today, I made the "fake house." Which is known to most people as, "cleaning up."

You know that I have a kayak in my dining room, right? That's thanks to my college boy.

Also, all of the stuff he brought home from college...all of the books and boxes and clothes and shoes and dishes and notebooks and supplies, a silk ficus tree, AND A BOX CONTAINING AN INFLATABLE SANTA CLAUSE...ALL of it is in the "living room/office" right as you come into our home...and a BUNCH of his clothes are stacked on the stairs going up to his room.

Did I mention that I'm re-doing his bedroom?

Yeah.

That started at the end of May, while he was in China...and then Holly and Aaron-the-son-in-law moved into their new house, and Holly was 8 1/2 months pregnant...so I helped her as I could. We all did.

And then sweet Rhodie was born, and Clark's room has been pushed to the backseat again.

He's been so sweet about it...but I can't wait to get it all together for him.

Anyway, I took all of those clothes, and put them in the plastic tubs I also had stacked in our entryway...and I shoved it all into the office.

AND I SHUT THE DOOR.

Also? If you've read here long, you know that we are "blanket people." The first time I went to my in-law's house, I noticed that they had blankets all over their furniture. I thought it was weird...and kind of disgusting.

Now that Holly has a little half-a-dog, who is an INDOOR dog, but thinks he's a OUTDOOR LAB, and wants to run around outside and roll in dead animals and poopoo and stuff...well, we are now blanket people.

And we don't really mind it at all. 

Anyway, I took all of the blankets off of our furniture before the people got here...and you would not be-LIEVE how pretty our family room is now!

Clark said to put the blankets back on the furniture...STAT.

Anyway, Holly and the baby left, and went home. About an hour later, Clark and Joshua left, and went to dinner together...and then over to Holly's house.

Our kids have been so curious about this whole "interview" tonight. They know their Dad is already ordained, but they were young when we went through this before, and don't really remember anything about the process...and they had a lot of questions about what was going to go on tonight. I didn't think much of it until Clark texted me to say, "if they paddle Dad...or do any sort of initiation thing...please video it."

WHAT?

PADDLE...DAD?

Who ARE my children?

Good news! There were 4 people who came, and they were very nice. They talked, we talked. THERE WAS NO SPANKING INVOLVED.

I'd call that a good night.

"Before they are appointed as deacons, let them be closely examined. If they pass the test, then let them serve as deacons." 1 Timothy 3:10

No comments:

Post a Comment