Friday, August 5, 2016

Joshua: Therapeutic Recreation Pool Party 2016

Well, last night was the night...the end of the summer pool party that Joshua's Therapeutic Recreation group has every year.

Every year, at the end of the Spring term, Joshua talks about how READY he is for the summer break. This year, this feeling lasted approximately 3 1/2 days...and then he started talking about how READY he was for the Fall term to start.

BUT FIRST...

First, they have to have their end-of-the-summer pool party...and it was last night.

We had some storms here at our house, and for about one minute, I found myself secretly wishing they would cancel the party. BUT THEN I listened to my big man talk about how much he wanted to see his FRIENDS...and I felt really bad.

And selfish.

Joshua is 30 years old. He lives at home with us. He is dependent on us for pretty much everything. He can't just jump in the car and go see his FRIENDS anytime he wants. It has to be planned out. Someone has to drive him there...some one has to pick him up...and, usually, someone has to stay there with him during the outing.

I'm not complaining about being that person. Not at all. It's just that sometimes I'm frustrated...not at him...just at the situation.

He gives our family so much, and he asks for nothing in return.

So we got in that car, and I prayed for the rain to hold off. We pulled up at the pool, and one FRIEND came running out to meet him first thing. And, even tho it's only been 3 weeks since they've seen each other, she said, "JOSH! I have missed you SO MUCH!" and gave him a big hug.

Since I was there by myself, I decided to just stay there for the duration of the party. I love seeing him with his FRIENDS. All of them are so different. Some can swim...some even jump off the diving board...but others are content to walk or float around the pool. One FRIEND is totally non-ambulatory (is that even a word?). It took 2 people to lower her into the pool...into the arms of her aide. And, much like my 7 week old grandson, her aide was completely responsible for holding her up...and keeping her head out of the water.

I am always amazed at the determination of the FRIENDS in Joshua's group. I am equally amazed at the goodness of others, because all or most of these FRIENDS? They need help from others. Whether it's being driven somewhere, help getting dressed, help with eating, help with bathing, help with medications, help with exercise, therapy, training...they ALL need help.

Really, we ALL need help.

Jim and I have had opportunities to help and encourage others. There have also been times when our friends have had to hold us up...when they had to keep us above the waters that were threatening to overwhelm us.

Yes, we ALL need help.

Who can YOU hold up today?

"...the LORD lifts up those who are weighed down..." Psalm 146:8

No comments:

Post a Comment