Monday, August 22, 2016

Moving Day #2 for #4

Sunday was the day...the day our baby boy moved back to college for his sophomore year.

We had already planned to have a breakfast potluck in our small group, so we kinda HAD to be there...and I had already RSVP'd to choir.

I sang for the early service, and then joined Jim and Joshua in our small group for our breakfast. Then, he and Joshua went home, and I stayed and sang for the second service...and then came home.

Speaking of choir, our music minister tells us that our role, as members of the worship team, is to "set the table" for the preaching of the Word. We are to be the appetizer...and the pastor is to deliver the meat of the Gospel. We sang a song called, "This Blood." The girl who sang the solo part SLAYED IT. It was soooo moving, and I believe God was glorified.

As soon as I got home from church, I changed my clothes and we headed out.

It was a pretty different moving experience this time. Clark packed all of his own stuff, and I don't know...I've seen him pack more for a week at camp. Eeek! I guess I shouldn't be surprised. This is the kid who went to East Asia for 3 weeks, and packed a small duffel bag and a backpack.

But we arrived at his college at 2 p.m. We had everything unloaded and put away by about 2:18 p.m.

I kid you not.

All you "girl moms" out there, just close your eyes and breathe into a bag. I know you can't imagine it, but it's true. Keep in mind that there were no curtains to put up. I asked about bringing the ones he used last year, and he said, AND I QUOTE, "we don't need no stinkin' curtains." We also came to a compromise on the bedding. I wanted him to take the sheets and comforter we bought him last year. He wanted to bring a sleeping bag.

HE WANTED TO BRING HIS SLEEPING BAG TO COLLEGE INSTEAD OF SHEETS AND A BLANKET.

There aren't many mountains I'm willing to die on, but this might've been one of them. And it's so silly, I realize this. But also? It's not. Because, like I told him, he is not gonna roll up to his college with a backpack and a duffel bag, like he's been on a 3 year trek in the woods. #justsaynotobeingahillbilly No, ma'am.

Also, there's no "art-work," or decorative items anywhere. No pictures or plants...nothing put on a shelf "just because it's cute."

Not even the inflatable Santa Claus he just HAD to have from Goodwill...the one that took up the majority of the floor space in his dorm last year...made the cut. Neither did the two large candy canes, OR the strands of Christmas lights they kept up from October til May.

We also had a little "convo" about THE RUG before we left the house. THE RUG was used by Logan for several years, and then Clark used it last year. I said, "what about taking THE RUG that's in the garage?" He said, "I'm not taking that rug."

Me: "why not?"
Him: "It's all sandy."
Me: "I vacuumed it."
Him: "It's still all sandy."
Me: Well, vacuum it again."
Him: "That rug has more sand in it THAN THE OCEAN. Did you take it to the beach or something?"
Me: "Yes, son...as we were loading our beach bags and swim suits into the back of the Burb, we also loaded up the rug from your dorm room, just so we could throw sand all over it. Also? YOU WERE WITH US AT THE BEACH. Did you see us unload a rug?"

So he didn't bring The Rug. I begged him to let me buy a NEW sand-free rug, and he said, AND I QUOTE, "we don't need no stinkin' rug."

(sigh)

He said he didn't want his room to look all "Pinterest-y." Well, no worries there. I said I didn't want it to look "prison-y." It does.

I think they DO need a stinkin' rug, but he's moved in...and we are back at home.

Peace out.

"Sing a new song to the LORD! Let the whole earth sing to the LORD! Sing to the LORD; Praise His name. Each day proclaim the good news that He saves." Psalm 96:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment