Monday, August 29, 2016

The Silence of College

So it's been a week since we took our youngest bowie to college, and it's been a week since I've heard from him.

(insert all the tears)

Oh, we've gotten the occasional text on the family group text. And his siblings have heard from him, and I'm honestly SO happy about that.

But, I haven't heard from him. No messages especially or specifically for ME.

His mother.

The one who gave birth to him.

Whatever.

I'm not upset about it at all.

GAHHHH!

This week, his college posted pictures of move-in day on their Facebook page, and highlighted some of their favorite dorm rooms. They weren't "ole-miss caliber," or anything, but some of them were really awesome!

My boy's room didn't make the cut.

SHOCKER.

I'm guessing boys who bring sleeping bags instead of, ya know, actual BEDDING...and boys who don't think curtains and rugs are necessary...and boys who don't put anything up on the walls or shelves...and boys who bring KAYAKS that take up over half of their room...and boys who don't know what a toilet brush is...aren't considered photo-worthy.

Oh well.

I have a good boy...a good son. I know he loves me, and loves our family. I am trying not to take it personally that he's not calling or texting, or sharing his heart with me.

He's tired, overwhelmed, excited, happy...and he's getting readjusted to sharing a room and a bathroom and a whole, new "space" with other people. It's not home...and he knows it. But I'm sure he loves it.

Back in 2007, when we moved Holly to this university, a friend shared some of his observations with us. He said that the two main things college students need to learn, is 1) to manage their time...and 2) train themselves to sleep when there's a lot going on outside of their dorm room.

Truer words never spoken.

Because, for 18 years, we are either taking them to their activities...and making sure they are getting there on time...or we are REMINDING them of their activities...and making sure they get there on time. We remind them to put their football pants in the laundry each night, so that they will be clean for the next day. We remind them that we will be gone over the weekend to grandma's house or whatever...and so they need to get that book report, term paper, done by Thursday night. We remind them that, if they plan on spending their birthday money on the weekend, they'd better go to the bank before it closes. And when it's bedtime? We turn off the lights, and the tv, and everyone goes to bed.

Or, that's the way things are around here.

I have the awesome advantage of experience...of 2 kids who have gone before him...and of this being his 2nd year of college. I know this is how it goes.

I'm not gonna lie and say that it doesn't PANG my heart a little that I'm not hearing from him much. Is "pang" even a word? You mommies will know what I'm talking about.

Giving them their wings is HARD...and this ain't even my first rodeo.

It still doesn't get any easier.

This whole parenting gig? Keeps me on my knees.

"Pray without ceasing..." 1 Thessalonians 5:17

No comments:

Post a Comment