Tuesday, September 8, 2015

A Tuesday That Feels Like A Monday

The day after a holiday is always hard. FOR ME.

Actually, I remember when our kids were little and they were in school...the day after a holiday was hard for them. And we all know that if it's hard for kids, it's hard for the moms.

Can I get an "AMEN?"

I stayed in bed this morning, and tried to figure out a way to convince Joshua that he wanted to stay home from Therapeutic Recreation today. Honestly, I didn't think it would be that hard...but I knew he wanted to go, so I didn't say anything.

His group was just going to stay at the TR Center today and do an art project...and watch a movie.

I took him for a little while, and he had a great time seeing his FRIENDS. I picked him up early, before the movie, but he didn't mind....because, after we got back into town, we went to Kroger. On a Tuesday. The boy loves him some grocery store trips.

Side note: He always likes to guess how many items we bought. After we pay for our groceries and are pushing our buggy out, he will start guessing. I will say, "more," or "less," to the number he says. I usually give him 3 guesses...and then I show him the correct amount on the receipt. And then he always wants to know how much we saved. On the Kroger receipts, it will tell you at the bottom of the slip. No matter if it's $3 or over $100 (like when I bought the vacuum there)...he will always say, "oh, WOWWWWWW."

Today, he said, "how much did we save?" I looked and said, "$12.37." He said, "wow...I guess it pays to be ODE."

He was implying that, because it was Tuesday...and because "senior citizens" get a discount on Tuesday...that had to be the reason we saved that much on just 25 items.

I ran errands while Joshua was at TR. He had asked me what we were having for dinner. He always likes to know where his next meal is coming from. I call him "Grandma Ellen," because we could be sitting at breakfast...a table FULL of food...and my grandmother would say, "okay...I know it's early now...but let's talk about lunch."

I asked him for a suggestion, and he suggested lasagna. I told him that his group was going to be making lasagna at TR tomorrow. So, he suggested fish. I had a couple of pieces of salmon in the freezer, and I bought asparagus at the grocery. When Jim got home, he said, "let's just eat the left-overs from last night, unless you have something planned."

Um. Yes. I am Mommy. I have something planned.

It's like he doesn't know me at all.

What do you expect after only 35 years of marriage?

So, I fixed salmon, twice-baked potatoes for Joshua and me...and a left-over sweet potato for Jim. He had his left-over hamburger steak with grilled onions and peppers, and shrimp...and I had a small bite of the salmon. Joshua had a combination of everything.

All-in-all it was a good day. Getting used to all the kids being gone again. I called my Dad and Clara and visited with them...and it got me over my sadness. They live a quiet life with not much company coming over. They go to church and church activities. They go to a lot of funerals, which would be enough to make me sad. But they have each other and they enjoy the time they have together. They are sweet.

Except for the part where I called and Clara said she had turned on the TV to watch the Williams sisters play tennis. She was on one phone, and my hard-of-hearing Dad was on the other phone...and we were all 3 trying to have a conversation. And Clara would say, "oh, wow...good shot!" Or, "that was a great volley!" And my Dad would say, "what about Holly?"

"I will be your God throughout your lifetime-until your hair is white with age. I made you and I will care for you. I will carry you along and save you." Isaiah 46:4

No comments:

Post a Comment