Wednesday, September 9, 2015

The Blessing of Prayer

Is it just me, or are y'all getting some heavy prayer requests from your family and friends?

Whew.

I don't know if it's my age, or what.

On second thought, I'm SURE it's my age. Jim and I...our group of friends...we are dealing with issues with elderly parents...while still raising our own children. Guess that's why "they" call it "middle age." Because we are in the "middle" of being parents...and caring for parents.

Altho I am pretty sure I won't live to be 110 years old.

Some of our friends also have grandchildren to add into the mix.

It's hard. I was praying through my list this morning, and it seemed to go on for-ev-er. I'm talking big, BIG, heavy, serious prayer requests.

It's easy to let it all get me down. Maybe you can relate?

I believe that God wants us to bring our requests to Him: "Do not be anxious about anything. Instead, in every situation, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, tell your requests to God." Philippians 4:6. 

I also believe that God wants us to share and bear each other's burdens: "Bear one another's burdens..." Galatians 6:2. 

Sharing our needs and struggles doesn't mean things will magically work out or be fixed. Sometimes we don't get the answers we want, or the outcome we beg for.

Also, sometimes the only way to get through a storm is to, well...go straight through it. And trust that He will not only meet us on the other side, He will walk with us through it all. We all need encouragement from others...and strength for each day. Or each hour. Or each minute.

I've been there...and I'm still there. 

I love this verse from Isaiah 33:6: "He is your constant source of stability; He abundantly provides safety and great wisdom; He gives all this to those who fear Him."

It's just comforting to know that, when things are crazy and out-of-control, HE is our CONSTANT SOURCE of STABILITY.

And not only that...He carries us. As a parent, is there a more beautiful or tender picture than a Father or a Mother carrying a child? "Even to your old age I will be the same, and even to your graying years I will bear you! I have done it, and I will carry you..." Isaiah 46:4

We have had more than our share of people praying for us during our lives. And, let me tell you, there were times when just knowing people were praying was the only thing that got us through, because it was such an encouragement and support to our family. So I know the blessing of prayer, and it is an honor when friends share their requests with me.

When I was younger, I used to try everything in MY POWER to "fix" a situation, and it was only when I was at my wit's end that I turned to the Lord. Now that I'm older, I am more likely to turn to God first...but not always. I still have a pretty hard head.

Many of y'all out there have been so sweet to let me know that you've prayed for me, after something I posted about my Dad...or my kids...or whatever. Tonight, I have a young friend who needs everyone's prayers. Audra is a friend of my daughter's...and her mom and I are friends. She can tell it much better than I can in her blog post. Would y'all pray for her and the precious life she is carrying?

"...casting all your cares (all your anxieties, all your worries, and all your concerns, one and for all) on Him, for He cares about you (with deepest affection, and watches over you very carefully). 1 Peter 5:7 (Amplified Version)

No comments:

Post a Comment