Saturday, September 19, 2015

Faith-the-girlfriend

She wrapped up the bag of left-over marshmallows with twine. Of course she did.

She's always using twine to tie up presents and things like that.

I used 4 cups of mini-marshmallows last weekend, when I made Rice Krispies Treats. I had clumsily tied a knot in the top of the bag, before I put it back in the pantry. But Faith-the-girlfriend? I don't know where she found the twine, but she took the time to tie up an almost empty bag of marshmallows...and made it look pretty.

Clark had not planned on coming home this weekend. Faith WAS planning to come home this weekend, because her grandparents were going to be in town, and she wanted to see them. And, because tomorrow is our new pastor's first Sunday, and she wanted to be here. Clark decided to come with her.

He slept really late this morning. Thankfully, I remembered this type of behavior from Holly and Logan's college days, and it didn't bother me. Holly's freshman year of college, she didn't come home a lot. I kept up with her by all of the pictures she posted on Facebook, and it looked like she was having a BALL. But then the times when she DID come home? She would practically sleep the whole weekend.

Not gonna lie...I was a little offended.

But now I know...how they push themselves to do everything AND try to stay on top of their work. And how, when they come home...to their own cozy house...and their own comfy bed...they can finally relax, and they sleep the good sleep that they don't get in the dorm. LEARN FROM ME: RELAX...it's NORMAL.

Clark eventually woke up at 11:30 or so, and came into the kitchen. The homemade breakfast of biscuits, bacon and eggs I'd made had long since gotten cold. I heard him opening the loaf of bread. WHAT THE WHAT? Did he not see that I MADE BISCUITS?

Anyway, he ate a bacon sandwich, and watched a little TV...and then said he was going to meet one of his friends from Bryant (a town where we used to live) for lunch. AGAIN: LEARN FROM ME. When Holly (and then Logan) would come home from college, I would get so upset when they wanted to hang out with their friends.

I know, right? Why WOULDN'T they want to come home?

But now I know that, when they come home, they sometimes want to see their friends. So even tho Clark had about a 45 minute to an hour drive, I told him it was okay. I want him to keep up with his friendships. He had a good time, and when he got back into town, he picked up Faith-the-girlfriend at her parent's house. Jim suggested that we order Chinese food for dinner, and just eat at home. Faith came over to join us.

Clark and Faith have been dating for 3 years. How I know that is that, for 3 years, he has marked each month with the amount of time they've been dating: 14 months...27 months...3 years. That is the whole reason they wanted to go to St. Louis last weekend...to go to some concert for their 3 year anniversary. But because they needed to stay overnight, her parents were going to go with them. At the last minute, her mom had to work, and so Clark and Faith weren't going to go. And that's why Holly and Aaron-the-son-in-law offered to go with them. They all had a BLAST!

Faith is a precious girl. She jumps right into whatever we are doing...whether it's hanging out here at home, or going on a trip. She is fun-loving and gentle. She loves our family. She loves both sets of our parents. She loves Joshua, and he loves her. Clark and Faith are young...19 and 20 years old. I don't know if they will end up staying together and getting married one day...but just seeing how she is with Joshua would seal the deal for me if they did.

The main thing I have always wanted and hoped and prayed for for our children...is for them to love Jesus with all of their hearts; for them to want to serve Him and others; and for them to choose mates that feel the same way. And for the mates they choose to love and accept Joshua.

I remember when Clark first started being interested in Faith. I asked him repeatedly if she was his girlfriend, and he said, "it's not like that."

Okay, then what IS it like?

Because, while they weren't going on "dates," they were talking on the phone constantly, meeting up to go on walks around our neighborhood...and I was pretty sure he was hanging out with her at school every possible minute he could.

When he finally admitted that they were a "couple," I asked him about her...because I didn't know her very well, and he was clearly smitten. He said, "I think she's really cute and fun and all of that...but what attracted me to her in the first place was her love for Jesus."

Drops mic and walks away.

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1 Corinthians 13:13

No comments:

Post a Comment