Thursday, September 17, 2015

Updates From Joshua's Day

We've had another fairly quiet day without Joshua here. Oh, I've had fun today. Holly and I met up for lunch, and did some shopping. She came back over to the house and stayed for a couple of hours. Jim and I went to dinner. We've had a nice time while Joshua's been gone. But...I miss the little booger. He is having fun on his camping trip, with his Therapeutic Recreation FRIENDS, tho. How do I know? Because he's called and texted me.

ALSO, the adult "helpers" have been taking pictures and posting them on Facebook so all the parents will see that the FRIENDS are having fun.

Joshua said he slept "like a rock" last night...which is awesome. I prayed that he would be able to rest well. He said they had "various things" for breakfast this morning. I couldn't really understand him clearly over the phone. There was a lot of background noise, but it sounded like he said he had Fruit Loops,  and if he did...well, that is amazing.

Because if you're new to my blog, you might not know that Joshua? He likes you to go to a little trouble. He's not really a fan of cereal. But if you want to whip him up a pan of blueberry muffins, or some buttermilk pancakes...or maybe fry up some bacon and eggs...well, you will be speaking his love language.

Maybe I misunderstood him.

He said they went hiking after breakfast, and then did archery. He told me that he "got his Hunger Games on." 

Also, a local TV station came out and filmed them for a segment on their news. We watched...so excited...but it was very short. Like 10 seconds. Or, it seemed like 10 seconds. I'm going to try and see if they have a longer video on-line in the morning. It was still very exciting for the FRIENDS.

He said they ate sandwiches for lunch, and then they went canoeing. He said that he was in the middle seat of his canoe, and that one of the FRIENDS was "making him a nervous wreck because she wouldn't sit still." He just knew they were going to tump over.

I know why he was in the middle seat of the canoe. It was for balance, because he was the lightest one in his group of 3. But he is as strong as an ox, and would've done a great job paddling. The staff just had to make sure there was one staffer per canoe, and I know they were very strategic in how they placed the FRIENDS.

After the canoeing, they had "FOB"...which is Flat On Back. They can rest on their bed, or do whatever...they just have to be quiet. That's when I got my phone call. Joshua is NOT going to be taking a nap. He is convinced that if he takes a nap during the day, he won't be able to sleep at night. And you know what? He's right. I mean...a short nap probably would not affect his sleep pattern, but MENTALLY? He would worry about it so much that he WOULD have trouble sleeping.

Tonight, they were grilling burgers, and then going on a "night-hike." This should be interesting, since the FRIENDS, most of them, have trouble walking in the daylight.

I have loved seeing all the pictures. I am SO THANKFUL for the ones who are taking care of these special adult FRIENDS. I mean, it's not easy. It can be frustrating, challenging, scary. It's also hysterically fun and rewarding.

If you've read here very long, you know that I am VERY particular about the people who work with Joshua. His safety is my utmost concern. Even when he stays the night at Jim's parents, I worry...not because they don't love and care for him...they do. They would lay down their lives for him. BUT, Joshua is very unpredictable, and they don't know what he's capable of or how he thinks. He is VERY mature in many areas...but, on the other hand, he could decide that he wants to take a nighttime swim...and walk out of the house without anyone knowing. They aren't used to how his mind works.

The staff at TR know him, and all the FRIENDS, in a different way. They know that anything can happen with any of them at any time of the day or night. They know it and they are not surprised...they are prepared.

I am feeling very thankful tonight, and can't wait to pick him up tomorrow!

"I will both lie down and sleep in peace, for You alone, Lord, make me live in safety." Psalm 4:8

No comments:

Post a Comment