Sunday, June 23, 2013

Joshua: Camp and the Midnight Run(away)

This may or may not be my last post on Camp Barnabas for a while. I'm on a roll with several posts in one week. Like, I've posted for 6 days in a row! I don't know what to think! It's like I don't even recognize myself! Ha! I guess my "normal" life is just really boring, and, since it's summer, a lot of the days are the same. But, here goes...

Two years ago at Camp Barnabas, the boys in Joshua's cabin had a night that they spent away from the cabin. Those who were physically able, along with their CIAs, went on a hike to a site away from the Camp. They took their sleeping bags and stuff, and camped out under the stars overnight. They built a campfire, roasted s'mores and had their nightly devo. Sounds like an awesome experience, right?

Except not.

Except for the part where Joshua's CIA woke up around midnight to find that Joshua was GONE. And it's pitch black outside. And they are a ways away from the cabins. Suffice it to say it was full out panic among the staff and CIAs at that point. They told me they were minutes away from calling authorities and forming a search party. His CIA told me he thought they were gonna call in a helicopter.

Eeek!

They found Joshua, safe and sound...and on his way BACK to the camp-site.

They never could understand what the problem was...why he left...how he found his way back to Camp Barnabas in the pitch dark...how and why he was on his way back. They asked him over and over, but he couldn't make himself clear to them.

When we got to Camp on closing day, they told us the story. My heart sank...just thinking of what all COULD HAVE happened. I am so thankful that nothing did. I asked Joshua to tell me what was going on that night...what happened to make him leave.

Joshua; "I couldn't get to sleep because my shirt was choking me in my neck. I decided to go back to the cabin and change my shirt."

Me: "Joshua, how in the world did you find your way back?"

Joshua: "I found the fence and followed it by feeling it with my hand until I got back to the road (the one that goes thru the camp, not a main road), and then I found my cabin."

Me: "Then what did you do?"

Joshua: "I went into my cabin very quietly because some of my friends had stayed there and they were asleep. I felt around in my suitcase for a different shirt. I changed my shirt and I started walking back to the campsite when I saw everyone running toward me."

OH MY WORD!

He had no wrong intent. HIS SHIRT WAS JUST CHOKING HIM IN THE NECK. He tried to be quiet so he wouldn't wake anyone up because he was trying to be considerate.

So thankful for God's protection and provision. Joshua was covered in chigger and mosquito bites...I mean COVERED. I bet he had a hundred bites. It took a long time of us putting neosporin and benadryl cream on them before they finally all went away.

They wrote all this information on Joshua's "file." I know this because last year, I started telling his new CIA about it...just to give him the heads up...when he stopped me and goes, "we know."

Saw-reeee...

Joshua's group hasn't gone back on the camp-out since then.

Can't say that I blame them...

Can't say that I'm disappointed about it, either...

"In peace I will both lie down and sleep, for You alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety." (Psalm 4:8)




No comments:

Post a Comment