Thursday, June 20, 2013

Joshua: Camp and Allergies

I feel like y'all might think I was complaining about Joshua talking and talking on our drive home from Camp Barnabas. I'm really not. It was all said tongue-in-cheek. He is so precious, but he can talk a blue-streak, and some times, after being on the road for several hours...even though I want to hear every detail about his week...a mom just gets a little tired. Can I get an amen? I fully realize how blessed we are. Joshua can communicate verbally...whereas some at his camp cannot. From the time Joshua was 5 months old, he had speech therapists working with him several times each week...and I worked with him at home to reinforce those lessons...every single day...all so that he would learn to talk and be able to communicate to the best of his ability. I realize how blessed we are in this way. That he can speak and read and write is the result of the hard work and dedication of many people, and by the grace of God.

The first place you have to go when you check into camp is the medical area. Joshua takes no medicine on a regular basis. He is fairly healthy, praise the Lord. I had to wait in a long line while people went thru each medicine their child was taking...and gave detailed instructions to the camp nurses. Joshua takes no medicine, but I still had to stand in the line and wait my turn...to turn in the paper that said he doesn't take any medicine. Crazy, I know, but they have quite a job keeping everything straight at Camp. As I was leaving that area, I saw two parents that were carrying small kitchen garbage bags FULL of medicine. Oh my goodness! That may be in our future, but for now it is not...and I am so thankful.

Joshua also informed us that every boy in his cabin but him...got sick at some point during the week. Didn't really give us a good feeling about things, considering we were leaving early the next day for a weekend trip to see family in Texas. Eeeeeeeek! But all was well.

One thing that typically does bother Joshua at camp is his allergies. Maybe it's being in a different location and climate...different bed and bedding (sleeping bag)...different air-conditioning...being outside more...I don't know, but he always comes home with a runny nose and cough. Joshua has a runny nose or eyes, even on a good day, so he always has a hankie in his pocket. For some strange reason, he said he only packed 4 hankies for the week...and I didn't catch it when I looked thru his suitcase before we left. I don't know if he went days without one, or if he had to re-use one for more than one day. I didn't ask. I really don't want to know...because...ewww.

He did say, "my allergies were really bad at camp. I only packed 4 hankies. I had to USE MY BEDDING AS A TISSUE on the last night."

(I think I just threw up a little in my mouth)

"in everything give thanks..." (1 Thessalonians 5:18)


No comments:

Post a Comment