Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Joshua: Hair-Cut and The Purple Cow

We've had a great day. I took Joshua to Little Rock, to meet up with his Therapeutic Recreation FRIENDS. Today, they were going to GO OUT TO EAT FOR LUNCH AT THE PURPLE COW.

It's a well documented, long-proven, FACT that there's not much the FRIENDS love more in this world, than eating out for lunch. Unless it's eating out for dinner...or breakfast...or...well, you get the drift.

If you don't have a Purple Cow near you, well then..."bless your heart." It serves burgers and chicken and various salads and sandwiches, but it's best known for it's "purple milkshakes." Joshua doesn't like ice-cream, so he had a burger...and water to drink. :)

I picked him up early today. Momma is TIRED. I don't know if it's the weather, or what, but I have been dragging this week. I feel like I'm sleeping okay, but I don't know. I have dreamed about Cecil the Lion twice. Like, the second time, it seemed the dream continued where it left off from the first time. I can't remember anything from the dream, but, really, the fact that a grown woman is dreaming about a dead lion speaks volumes about my mental state.

I was happy to get home early, and have about 3 hours before we had to be up at the church for Wednesday night supper. I invited Holly to come join us, but she said she was waiting to eat dinner with Aaron-the-son-in-law, after choir. Jim, Joshua and I went to the church supper. The meal was "breakfast for dinner," and it was really good. And then I went to choir, and Jim and Joshua went home. 

This morning, before we got to TR, I took Joshua to get his hair-cut. We used to always go to the Sports Clips place in our town, and we always asked for a stylist named "Ms. Hope." She was so good with Joshua. But then she moved.

Joshua loves getting his hair-cut more than any human being on the planet. Before we found Ms. Hope, I had taken him random places and never really clicked with the stylist. I don't know that it's important for the average human being to connect with their hair-cuttin' person on any level, but it is important to Joshua. And it is important to me. I watched one girl at the Sports Clips cut his hair, and I thought, "wow...she seems really rough." She was totally disinterested in what she was doing...or in Joshua...she had no conversation with him at all. I decided not to say anything to Joshua. I thought it might just be my observations from where I was sitting, and maybe it was okay with him.

When we got in the car, I commented to Joshua on how handsome he looked with his new hair-cut. He said, "that girl was ROUGH...she hurt my head."

And then I started feeling a slow boil bubbling up in my heart...and then I about had to hold back tears...because, seriously? How hard is it to just.be.nice? Especially WHEN IT'S YOUR BUSINESS.

We never went back to her. EVER. It is something Joshua loves so much, and I'm not putting up with anyone who doesn't make it as special for him as they would for anyone else. 

This morning, I took him to my stylist, Kayla. She cut his hair last time, and he LOVED it. For me, it's less about the actual hair-cut, and more about the experience...how happy it makes Joshua. Kayla has a kind heart and a tender heart...and Joshua thinks she is awesome. And she does a GREAT job on his hair!

Kindness is a universal language that is understood by everyone, and while it's important to all of us...it can be life-changing to those who have the most vulnerable hearts.

So whether you cut hair, or cut lawns...whether you care for babies, or teach children...whether you push a wheelchair, or open the door for someone who does...whether you hold someone's hand when they cross the street...or hold their hand as they cross from this life into Heaven...never underestimate how much your "role" or your "job" can affect other people. 

"...truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of Mine, you did it for Me." Matthew 25:40

No comments:

Post a Comment