Thursday, July 14, 2016

Rhodie's First Outing: Hobby Lobby

Well, today was the day. One day shy of 4 weeks old, and we ventured from the house...with the baby.

I don't even remember those days with Joshua. It's like I told Holly...my Mom came after he was born, and she stayed 1 week. And then she was gone. And it was just me.

And Jim, of course.

But mainly just me.

But that situation was a little different. Joshua was back in the hospital at 1 week of age...and then at one month of age...and then had his open-heart (open chest) surgery when he was 3 months old. And during that time, and between all of those times, if I needed to go to the store, I just...went.

I didn't really have a choice.

We like to eat at our house.

Holly is a first-time Mom, and she'll have to learn to do it...just like the rest of us all learned to do it. It takes practice, patience, and planning. I told her today, that she also had to be flexible. She had to be able to change her plans at a moment's notice. She had to be willing to walk out of a store...just walk out. Even if she had a full cart of groceries. Even if they were out of milk and bread and diapers. Even if they wouldn't have what they needed for the next day.

Because the baby may be throwing a fit. Or he may be throwing up. Or there may be a disturbance in the force a little further SOUTH. :)

"Clean up on aisle 9!"

Can I get an "AMEN?"

Holly wanted to go to Hobby Lobby. She figured there wouldn't really be too many people there, especially if we went early, and that it would be a good, easy place to go for his first outing. Hobby Lobby is cool, but it's not like Target or The Wal-Marks...in terms of crowds.

She had gotten one of these Ergobaby baby carriers, and thought she could carry him close to her...and he would be happy, and she would be happy, and no nosy people would come up to her, and breathe on the baby.

Which, in theory...works.

But Rhodie wasn't having it. She put him in that thing, and he was not happy about it AT ALL. He started wailing, and then he got HOT. I told her to just take him out of it and hold him. She did, and he liked it.

We only stayed at Hobby Lobby for about 20 minutes, but I'm calling it a successful trip. Rhodie proved his point, which was: don't put me down in that sweat trap. And Holly proved to herself that she could get out with him.

Holly loves Hobby Lobby, so I told her that we just needed to take Rhodie back once a week until he sees how awesome it is there!

"Rejoice in the LORD always: and again I say, rejoice!" Philippians 4:4

No comments:

Post a Comment