Tuesday, July 19, 2016

On How Joshua Likes to Change Things UP Around Here

Ya know, I said when Rhodie was born, that I would not be turning this into a "let me tell you about my grandson" blog.

But, I started this blog to keep my family updated on our lives...mainly our lives with Joshua...and to hopefully leave something for my grandchildren to read, after I'm gone.

So I can't NOT talk about Rhodie, because he's what's going on right now.

Joshua's Therapeutic Recreation group is taking a break until the Fall semester. Honestly, his antics with his group of FRIENDS is where I get a lot of my "material." HA! Just kidding.

It hasn't even been a week since I posted about Joshua saying he was "ready for a break." And yet, last night, I overheard him tell Jenni-the-girlfriend that he was "ready to start back."

Do ya SEE what I'm dealin' with over here?

Joshua is a structure-loving, schedule-making, routine-following kind-of-guy. So, summer kind of freaks him out. We are trying to keep some sort of consistency to each day, while also being flexible. We have a wittle baby in our family now, and we are spending as much time as we can, soaking up the love. We told Holly that we will try to be available to help however we can, with whatever she needs...whether it's holding the baby so that she can take a shower, helping her unpack things in their new house, or picking up things from the store.

Joshua has "chores" he does at our house every day. He is always willing to help out...it's just that sometimes the task is a little overwhelming for him. Today, I washed his sheets. After they were done, I put them on the stairs...intending to take them up later, and put them on his bed.

When "later" came, I looked for the sheets, but couldn't find them. I went upstairs to his room, and he had put them on his bed all by himself! I know he knows HOW to do it...he helps me with that chore each week. It's just that his bed is really difficult to put sheets on...his mattress kind of fits down into a frame. You have to reach your hand down, and lift up each corner. It's hard for me, and I've been doing it for years. Not gonna lie...I was impressed that he could do it all by himself!

One of the other ways Joshua serves our family, is by unloading the dishwasher. He does this consistently, quietly, and without fanfare. I know there's just 3 of us now...4 during the summer...but we sure seem to use a lot of dishes each day! Especially with Clark here. That boy loves to make a mess in the kitchen cook.

ANYWAY, sometimes, Joshua goes rogue with the unloading-of-the-dishwasher.

I don't know how this slips under my radar, because I'm with him pretty much 24/7 when we're at home.

But there are mornings, like this morning, when I stumble into the kitchen, open a cabinet or a drawer...and everything is changed.

Like, the plates are moved to another cabinet...or he has moved all of the silverware to another drawer. Or he's put the silverware in a different order...knives where the spoons go...stuff like that.

This morning, I was trying to find a mixing bowl...AND THEY WERE GONE FROM THE MIXING BOWL SHELF.

What in the world?

What? Why? How? When?

I just want a mixing bowl...and a spoon.

WHERE ARE ALL THE SPOONS?

When I asked him about it, he looked at me, shrugged his shoulders, and very matter-of-factly said, "I just thought I would change things up."

He keeps us on our toes! There's never a dull moment with him!

"Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves;" Philippians 2:3

No comments:

Post a Comment