Monday, July 4, 2016

July 4, 2016

We've had a great weekend. Yesterday, we got up and went to Sunday School (small group, for you young'uns)...and then we came home. I told Jim that it doesn't feel like a Sunday, when we don't go to the church service. I don't really like that feeling.

Logan and Morgan came to stay with us on Friday and Saturday. Late Saturday night, I realized that we had not taken ONE family picture...and they were leaving on Sunday before lunch. I know it's not a huge deal, but it's Rhodie's first July 4th...and I wanted to document it. I'm new at this grandmother thing, but I'm pretty sure we should be taking pictures of all of his "first" holidays.

So we came home, and changed our clothes. We went over to Holly and Aaron-the-son-in-law's to take pictures. Two grandparents (Jim and I), 4 (adult) kids, 2 "in-laws," 1 grand-baby...annnnnnd a dog. What could go wrong?

And, I'm happy to report, it went as well as you are imagining. Especially if you count that, out of about 25 pictures, we got ONE where all of us are looking at the camera. In two of the pictures, Jim had a small American flag over his face.

OVER HIS FACE.

And he's 56 years old.

LAW.

In at least 2 of the pictures, Joshua is looking at Morgan-the-sister-in-law...because he thinks she is beautiful and sweet and he loves her so much. And then, in 90% of the remaining pictures, THE BOYS (Logan and Clark) are doing some sort of weird thing...on purpose.

Oh, well. Rhodes has been born into this crazy family...he might as well get used to it.

After the picture-taking session, we came home. Logan and Morgan packed up their stuff, and left to spend the next 2 days with Morgan's family. We made lunch, and then everyone piled up on the couches in the living room. Holly and Aaron came over with the baby, and I got in some serious snuggles with our little one.

I realize this post is so boring, but it's RHODIE'S FIRST JULY 4!

We couldn't decide what to have for dinner, but ended up making stuff out of what we had in the frig. Joshua calls it, "cleaning up the frig."

We had a fairly quiet Independence Day today. It's great that Holly had the baby when she did...it gives us all a great excuse to not go anywhere. Not that we need one...we love spending time at home with our family...and we love getting to hang out with Rhodie.

Jim and Clark did decide to run down to Little Rock, and run in this Firecreacker 5k...so they were up and crashing around at 5:15.

THEY ARE TRYING TO KILL ME DEAD.

Logan and Morgan were already registered to run in it, and that's what got Jim and Clark all pumped to register for it, too. Also, Morgan's mom was running in it, and it was her first ever 5k.

So, Jim and Clark left before 6:15. I tried to go back to sleep...but I couldn't. So, I ended up making the muffins for breakfast. Because it's Monday, and if you know anything about Joshua, you know that he is committed to tradition. And it's a tradition that we have muffins on Monday.

So, holiday or no holiday...there must be muffins. 

The guys had a great time at their race. Logan thinks he ran a personal best. Jim said he didn't run as fast as he wanted to. Morgan did well, as usual. And Clark? He finished before any of my crew, and then went back to find Morgan's mom. And, after running his own 5k, he ran the last leg of her race with her...his brother's wife's mom.

Family, y'all. We don't have to be related by blood...or even related by marriage. We can be neighbors, co-workers...or friends.

Let's take care of each other.

I love July 4. I am so thankful for our country. I am thankful for the courageous men and women who fought and died, defending our country...and for the ones who are currently serving in our military. I am thankful for the freedoms we have in America. As many complaints there are about what is wrong here, I would not want to live anywhere else.

I am not too thankful for fireworks. I love watching them...like, going places to watch them. I don't even mind watching them on a TV show...turning out all the lights in the house, and pretending we are actually there. What I do not love: people shooting off fireworks in our neighborhood. We have a geriatric, Black Lab. She's old, she can barely walk, and she can't take it.

CAN.NOT.TAKE.IT.

Holly said that she and Aaron-the-son-in-law had to drug their dog, Marley, tonight...because, AND I QUOTE, he was, "acting the FOOL."

"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." 1 Thessalonians 5:11

No comments:

Post a Comment