Thursday, July 7, 2016

Happy Heavenly Birthday to My Mom (#77)

I posted this picture of my Mom on my Facebook. She was so pretty.

She would've turned 77 on July 1.

She was everything I am not: beautiful, talented, organized, and driven.

Long before there was a thing called a "bucket list," she had dreams...and one of those dreams was to make a record. Which, she did. The picture I posted was of her album cover. It pretty much depicts how she was every day: feminine, pretty, and always "put together."

I'm sure she looked at her three daughters, and wondered where in the world she went wrong...because the 3 of us? We want to look cute, but COMFORT MUST REIGN SUPREME.

I never saw my Mom in sweat pants, leggings, shorts, a hoodie...or almost anything that is currently in my closet. Never saw her without lipstick. Pretty sure she never, EVER wore flannel...which, if you know me or have read here very long, then you know that I wear my super-cute flannel pajammies 9 months out of the year.

NOT EVEN KIDDING.

I can count on one hand the number of times I saw my Mom wear a pair of jeans...and when she did? She would wear them with cute, strappy sandles, and she would have a little flower or hair-comb in her hair.

She always, ALWAYS had her nails done.

She liked to stand out...I like to blend in; She liked to be out front...I prefer to be in the back; She liked to lead...I like to serve.

But, with all of our differences, we did have things in common...and one of those things is our family. How she was with us, how she envisioned our family...and her role in it, was very different from me and my vision...no surprise there.

But I am very thankful for her, and my Dad, and the choices they made for our family. I might not have chosen her life, but she probably wouldn't have chosen mine, either.

Looking back, I can see the "scarlet thread" of Jesus through it all.

My great-grandparents took their 5 children to church, and taught them about God. My grandmother took my Mom and her brother to church. My Mom's influence over my Dad to attend and join a church after they married, led to his salvation. And their choice to raise us in a Christian home, made an eternal difference in my life...which, in turn, has impacted my marriage, and the lives of our children.

Throughout her life, my Mom used her beautiful voice to share God's love with others...and now she sings in the presence of God.

She lived well...and she died well.

Happy Heavenly Birthday, Mom!

This is the verse we put on the headstone of her grave:

"I will sing to the Lord as long as I live. I will praise my God to my last breath!" Psalm 104:33

No comments:

Post a Comment