Friday, October 3, 2014

Tiger Tunes 2014

So, last night, I totally forgot to post on my blog!

I know...shocking. Because for the past year, I've tried to write SOMETHING every day. It was one of my New Year's resolutions. One of the rare ones I have ever actually done.

SO. Yesterday (and today) was Clark's 3rd college visit...and I could not have been more excited about it.

He went to visit Ouachita Baptist University. And I was like a little kid at Christmas.

I can write freely because he doesn't read my blog! And I can say how excited I am and how much I would LOVE for him to choose Ouachita...without him knowing. I'm trying to be very cool and unbiased about the whole thing, so that he doesn't feel pressure in any way. And ultimately, I want God's will for Clark's life...whatever that is and wherever that takes him.

OBU has a program in the fall for prospective students called GROW. It stands for Getting Ready for Ouachita's World. Or something like that. And Clark has never gotten to go because of football. The event is always on a Thursday night and part of Friday. If you are playing football, you can't miss school and spend the night AND then be gone for part of your game day...on a campus visit. This year, because he chose not to play football, he was able to go.

Prospective students meet on Thursday night, have dinner together and get a little bit of orientation...and then they all go to an event called "Tiger Tunes." TT is a 3 day event where all of the social clubs (think sororities/fraternities) and campus organizations compete against each other with choreographed, musical acts. They award points and announce winners each night, and then the overall winners are announced on the last night! IT.IS.SO.AWESOME!

No, seriously.

I don't think I can explain the awesomeness.

Holly and I had looked forward to it since the summer. She was up at 4:30 and had to be at the hospital in LR for six hours. Then, she picked up Joshua for me at his Therapeutic Recreation and brought him home. She got changed and rested a minute, and then I came to get her. It takes almost 2 hours for us to get to OBU from where we live. I kept trying to get her to, as my mother-in-law would say: "sleep a nap" on the way, but we were both too excited.

Oh wait! This post was supposed to be about CLARK's campus visit.

Oh yeah.

He was there, too.

heeheeheeheeheehee

He and his girlfriend, Faith, headed down there in his car...so they could meet up with the other GROWers. Holly and I left about 15-20 minutes later...and we STILL beat Clark and Faith to Arkadelphia. I know that Clark drives like a 100 year old man, and that we did not pass them on the way...so how does that even happen?

I AM thankful to have a slow and careful driver, and there was a TON of traffic.

But they finally made it and we know that because we saw them standing outside of one of the buildings with their big group. At the time, Holly and I may or may not have been cruising through campus stalking them casually looking around. 

See? TOtally keeping it cool and unbiased.

SIDE NOTE: I remember cruising through campus with my roommate wayyyyy back in the day. She had a small, red convertible and she had a horn that played a few bars of a fight song REAL LOUD. I loved driving through campus with her because she was so fun and everyone loved looking at her car! I had a blue, 4 door Chevy Nova. Not so cool.

Anyway, Tiger Tunes was WONderful. There was only one thing that made me go "whaaaaaaat?" and that was when they had someone dressed up like Jesus walk across the stage during a song...and he looked more like a hippy from the 60's than, you know...JESUS. To quote one of Jim's friends: "don't BLEEVE I'd 'a done that."

Holly had a great time. She got to see several of her friends, and seeing her BEST FRIEND and former roommate, Anna, nearly brought her to tears.

We never saw Clark and Faith after the show was over. I hope they enjoyed it. They were heading to a college worship service called "Refuge." It started at 10:40 p.m.. Even when Holly was there, I couldn't wrap my head around that because I like to be in bed by then!

This morning, the GROW group was meeting for breakfast and then they were getting the opportunity to sit in on a class of their choice. Later, they were going to have a time where they could meet and talk with some of the professors at OBU.

Wherever God leads Clark next year, I hope that, last night, he got a small taste of the family that is OBU...and can maybe understand why we love that place so much.

"In everything give thanks..." 1 Thessalonians 5:18

No comments:

Post a Comment