Thursday, October 9, 2014

Pastor Search Team: Joshua's List

Feeling kinda puny tonight, so I'll make this short.

I have stuff in my draft file just waiting to be posted, but wanted to share this from Sunday.

Our church just lost our pastor.

Well, he's not lost. He's still here...still a member of our church. He took a position with LifeWay
Christian Resources in Nashville, TN. He will be a pastor FOR pastors...and working with Dr. Thom Rainer. It's all very exciting for him and his family...and our church fully supports him in this new ministry.

Annnnnnnnd back to me.

So, on our pastor's last service last Sunday, our entire church stood...the ones who were able...and applauded him for his years of service.

SAVE ONE.

That one would be my "they're SO loving" son, Joshua.

I could see him from the choir loft: arms folded, lip out, sitting down...while everyone else around him was standing up and clapping.

Do y'all know that October is Pastor Appreciation Month? You DON'T? Here are 4 ways you can honor the pastors who serve in your church. I'm sure you can think of many more.

ANYway...this past Sunday was the day when we were supposed to each write down 7 church members to serve on the pastor search team. We have talked about it at home, so when it came time to pass out the ballets, I asked Joshua if he wanted one, and he said, "yes."

I had my list ready, so it didn't take me long to write mine down.

I looked over at Joshua and he was writing furiously. Not gonna lie...I felt a twinge of pride. Just look at him...I thought. And people think he doesn't know what's going on...I thought.

And then I looked at his list. Where he was supposed to list the names of 7 PEOPLE, he had written 7 characteristics or qualities he was hoping our new pastor would have:

1. faithful
2. honest
3. bold
4. patient
5. wise
6. understanding
7. has a heart for kids

The last one about did me in.

Yeah, he did it wrong...OR DID HE? His little heart is in the right place, that's for sure. And, if we can find a pastor with these qualities, I think we'll have a pretty good one.

I love my Joshua.

"This is a trustworthy saying: “If someone aspires to be an elder,[a] he desires an honorable position.” So an elder must be a man whose life is above reproach. He must be faithful to his wife.[b] He must exercise self-control, live wisely, and have a good reputation. He must enjoy having guests in his home, and he must be able to teach. He must not be a heavy drinker[c] or be violent. He must be gentle, not quarrelsome, and not love money. He must manage his own family well, having children who respect and obey him. For if a man cannot manage his own household, how can he take care of God’s church?" 1 Timothy 3:1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment