Wednesday, October 15, 2014

As Big As a Whale

We all, I think, struggle with body image at one time or another in our lives.

Most of us, anyway.

It's no different with Joshua and his FRIENDS. In fact, it might be worse. 

Not all of the FRIENDS who attend Joshua's Therapeutic Recreation program have Down Syndrome, but several do. And everyone of them have a warped view of beauty.

Because they read magazines, and watch movies and shows on TV just like the rest of us. The girls see the tall, thin models...and it doesn't take much for them to realize that their bodies are different. And no matter how hard you try, a person can't stretch a 4'10" frame to anything remotely looking like that.

It's the same for the guys. A lot of them idolize Elvis or the handsome actors from the Twilight movies...or body builders.

I love Joshua and his FRIENDS. I think they are beautiful, beautiful souls. I love their hair...dark, light, straight, curly. I love the way they smile. I love the way their almond-shaped eyes crinkle when they smile. I love the raspy sound of their voices...especially when they sing. I love watching them be silly. I love watching them care for each other.

I love how they love...all in and with their whole hearts.

I do not love to see them struggle with simple, every-day tasks.

I do not love to see people stare at them.

I do not love it that they sometimes feel "less than."

Because, if you say something like, "Joshua, you look very handsome today." He will say, "I know." Or if I tell Jenni that she looks pretty, she'll say, "mmmm...mmmm..." And then everyone thinks that "they" are soooo loving, and that if we all just show "them" enough love...then they would never have those normal insecurities like the rest of us do.

But everyone would be wrong.

Just today, on our drive home from Little Rock, Joshua was telling me that Jenni told him that she was upset because she was fat. It makes Joshua really upset when she talks like that, and he told her that he didn't EVER want to hear her say that again.

It was at this point that I went against one of my cardinal rules and interrupted him to say, "you know, Joshua, the BIBLE says that man looks at the outside, but GOD looks at the heart."

And Joshua said, "well, THAT'S obvious."

And then I shut my mouth.

He continued to tell me that he told her that God made her different and special and pretty...just the way she is.

And then, just when I was about to cry from the sweetness of it all...he added, "I don't care if you're as big as a whale or as fat as a hippo...I still love you, Jenni.

(sigh)

I said, "JAH-SHA-WAH...don't tell her THAT. Girls don't want to hear things like that."

He said, "she already knows."

Goodness gracious!

I posted a picture of Joshua and Jenni on Facebook.

"You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother's womb. Thank You for making me so wonderfully complex!" Psalm 139:13-14

No comments:

Post a Comment