Saturday, October 25, 2014

I've "Got It Made"

A few years ago, someone told me, "Marty, you have it MADE."

I'm pretty sure they meant it as a "dig," and it made me kind of mad at the time...because, to quote the great philosopher, Beyonce, "you must not know 'bout me."

And, truthfully, I don't know about you. None of us knows what goes on with anyone else...really.

That comment made me mad, because life may be hard at times...but I CHOOSE joy.

Or I try to. Every day.

Even still, you don't want my life.

And that's okay...I don't want yours, either.

Because, I mainly write about the funny stuff, y'all know that, right?

And I mainly share about the good days...because there are a lot of them. And because I'm just a fairly positive person.

But there's just a lot that weighs heavy on my mind...all the time...every day. How could it be any other way? I have an adult child who is, and will always be, dependent on the care and concern of others. My thoughts are constantly on him and his well-being. I pray a LOT for God's protection over him with regard to his health.

I also pray a LOT for God's protection over him with regard to his safety. I am reeeeeaaaalllly watchful with who is around Joshua. He is just so innocent...trusting and sweet.

I pray for the best way for Jim and I to parent and care for him...the best way to enhance his life. Like I mentioned in my post yesterday, we are constantly evaluating what is best for Joshua.

I do not expect the same out of him as I do our other kids. I used to. Now I don't.

I don't want him to feel the same pressures that my other kids feel. I never want him to feel scared or unsafe. I never want him to feel pain of any kind. I never want him to feel lost, neglected or abandoned. I just want Joshua to have the best life...whatever that involves.

(For the record, we want the same thing for our other 3 children. We just expect more out of them, as far as their education and work. We know they have, and will again, feel pressure and pain and fear and love and loss and all of the negative things that naturally happen in the course of a life. We just pray and trust that they will have the skills needed to work through these emotions...whereas Joshua does not understand any of it...and just like you would watch over your young child as much as you can, that's how we watch over Joshua. We DO expect the same out of him with regard to obedience and respect and things like that...don't worry)

God has been so good to our family...so faithful. What we thought in the beginning would be our biggest struggle...and there have been some of those  days...has been one of our biggest blessings.

Joshua's birth changed our mission...it changed our family. It changed the way we parent. It changed the way we pray...how we minister to others...where we go...what we do. Because, at the end of every day, we not only have to be accountable to God for the choices we've made that day...the good, the bad, the ugly, the mistakes...we also have two beautiful brown eyes staring at us...willing us to be and do our best for him.

I thought more about the one who said I "had it made." They couldn't be more right. I have experienced loss, but I have a wonderful family and the sweetest friends who walk through life with us...and who have held us up during the hard times. In a world where many lack even the basic necessities for life, I have food, shelter and clothing. I have the opportunity to read and learn. I live in a free country where I can vote and choose and worship. And, even tho I am the most unworthy, I have a Savior Who died for me. He died for you, too! And HE gives me everything I need for each day.

Yep. Guess I really do have it made.

"For Thou, O LORD, are a shield for me...my glory and the lifter of my head." Psalm 3:3

2 comments:

  1. I'm so thankful for your diary! It literally cracks me up. You are such a great mom and the stories....I die!! Thank you

    Heidi M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi! Thank you so much for your comment! Your words greatly encouraged me today! :)

      Delete