Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Unexpected Blessing

Yesterday at church, when I got into Sunday School...after singing in early-church choir, Jim whispered to me, "did you see Joshua anywhere?"

And that's how Marty died.

It's like he doesn't even know me at ALL! Because why else would he say that?

He said that he walked Joshua to his class and no one else was there. He said that he waited with him for a while, and Joshua said he was FINE and for Jim to go on to his class. Jim gave him instructions on what to do/not do if no one showed up by a certain time.

Well, there was no concentrating on the lesson after that.

I knew that a lady from choir was singing the offertory song, so when she got up to leave at 10:30, I left with her. I looked for Joshua at the gazebo area...where he was found one time. I looked for him in the foyer of the church...all the way around on both sides. I did not look in the sanctuary, because the early service was still going on. I basically stared out the back at the building where his class meets...hoping to see a glimpse of him in the window.

I didn't.

The music minister asked if I wanted to walk over there and peek in the window.  I told him, "no."

I mean, I really did want to, but I didn't want Joshua to feel like a baby. It's a fine line I walk because he's 28 years old. He's a man. But he's also very child-like and trusting. But I'm a Mom...his Mom. I HAVE to know where he is.

So I waited in the choir room and I was all by myself until this one lady came in. I'm ashamed to admit that I had never really talked with her because she seems very different.

From me. 

She is always very friendly to me, tho, and to others.

Maybe that's the difference between us.

(sigh)

We chit-chatted for a minute and when my Sunday School friend was done with the offertory song, she came in the choir room and asked if I'd found Joshua. In the course of our conversation, the new lady started asking me about Joshua. And even tho I didn't know this lady at all, my words stumbled out fast as I shared my story with her.

Why did this stranger feel like a safe place?

Maybe it's because she asked.

Or maybe it's because she seemed genuinely interested.

When I stopped talking, she put her hand on my arm and said, "I understand."

She told me that her son has Aspergers and that they had had a very hard time in church. She told me about one incident with her son...similar to one with Joshua...where the teacher let him leave the SS class on his own, and when she got there to pick him up, he was gone...and they didn't know where he was.

She said that, because of this incident, they did not come back to church for a long, long time.

We talked for a while and agreed that our church...or SOME CHURCH...needs a class for adults with special needs. I said, "there just HAS to be other kids like Joshua in this town," and she said, "there are."

I don't know. Just talking to her I felt such a relief. Like, FINALLY someone gets what I'm talking about.

When we got into the choir loft for the late service...I felt her tap me on the shoulder. She leaned down and whispered, "did you find your son?" I said, "yes," and pointed him out to her.

After church was over, we were talking to some people in the lobby area of our church. This same sweet lady came up to us with her grandson, and introduced herself to Joshua. She said, "I just really wanted to meet you, Joshua."

And that's how Marty cried.

I don't necessarily believe in "signs," but I do believe that God can and does give encouragement in many different ways. I am very thankful that He used this new friend to encourage me yesterday.

"Don’t forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it!" Hebrews 13:2

No comments:

Post a Comment