Sunday, September 14, 2014

The Saga of the Rotten Milk

I'd like to give a report on the rotten milk.

Oh? I haven't told you about that?

Get ready. It's riveting.

I've written before about my in-laws. I love them. They are the most interesting and eccentric people I have ever known.

Like, ever.

They are also very generous people. Especially my mother-in-law. There has never been one time that we have been down to their house...or met them at a restaurant...or had them come to our house...that they haven't brought and offered us groceries and "house supplies."

My father-in-law goes NUTS because my mother-in-law...she has a problem.

Which, him going nuts about her? POT. KETTLE. BLACK.

My mother-in-law, we call her MAMMAW JACK, she loves her a bargain. And if you can 20 boxes of Cheerios ON SALE, well then...sign her up. She buys tons of groceries, and she used to share them with all of us...Jim and I, Jim's two brothers and their families...back in the day when we had young families and all. And we appreciated it so much.

It's just that now, with only 2 boys at home...we don't use as much as we did when we had all 4 kids and their friends here...but Mammaw Jack continues to buy the same amount.

She loves Kroger. She calls it The Krogers and she goes on Tuesdays because not only is it Double "Coupin" Day...it's also Senior Citizen's Day. It takes her over 2 hours to shop, and that is saying something because there are some days when she won't even get up to walk to the front door. But once a week, she is at The Krogers with bells on.

It's a social thing for her. Before she even goes, her sister, Aunt June, is on the phone calling her...asking her what is on sale.

LOOK IN THE PAPER FOR YOURSELF, AUNT JUNE.

And then my mother-in-law goes to The Krogers. And Aunt June goes to the same store. And they see each other and talk like they haven't seen each other in a year. My mother-in-law is so happy to be at The Krogers. She says that she saves so much money that it's like they are PAYING her to shop there.

She likes to brag that, on more than one occasion, the checker has called the manager over to check her ticket because there is just NO WAY she could've saved that much money. NO WAY.

So Jim was at his parent's house on August 25th, and he brought home a bunch of groceries, including three 1/2 gallon jugs of skim milk. Which, blech.

And secondly, they all three expired on August 26...the very.next.day.

Well.

You have to know that my boys are not drinking any rotten milk, and when they told that to Jim, he got all defensive and said, "FINE...I'll drink it myself."

When I went to the store, I bought a gallon of 2% that didn't expire for 3 weeks. I came home and put it in the refrigerator in the garage, and we have all been sneaking out there to get fresh milk.

"Fresh milk."

It's like Little House on the Prairie around here. 

"Go out to the back porch and get yer fresh milk."

Jim has been drinking his rotten milk, because he will prove his point or die trying.

I would like to say that it is September 14th, and he just finished up his last 1/2 gallon...and he has not died.

Praise Jesus.

"Give thanks in everything, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:18

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! This is to funny! My grandma used to keep her milk in the bathtub and then try to make us drink it. I have no idea why or what she was thinking.

    Heidi M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good heavens! That's crazy! Our last child was born extremely early and had to stay in the hospital for 7 1/2 weeks. My grandmother was alive back then and she told me that when someone had a premature baby back in her day, they "kept them in a box in the oven." WHAT?

      Delete
  2. I have added to my Bucket List "go to The Krogers with Marty's mil on a Tuesday" because sister, that is RIGHT UP MY ALLEY! :-) If y'all lived closer I'd share some baked beans because it seems that ... ahem... I've come into a few cans! LOL!

    ReplyDelete