Saturday, September 27, 2014

Losing Our Minds

Is it me, or does it seem like the world is going crazy? Shootings, beheadings, kidnappings...

Just this week, a local Realtor went to show a house to an unknown man, and now she has disappeared without a trace.

And just this week, a woman was assaulted IN THE BROAD DAYLIGHT in the parking lot of a local mall. What in the world?

My husband is a huge news junkie, but it's gotten to where watching it literally hurts my stomach.

All of it has about made me want to get my concealed (handgun) carry license. Not even kidding. And this is my blog and my thoughts, so please no ugly comments. I'm not saying that I AM or am NOT. I am just thinking it all through out-loud.

I just want to keep my family safe.

I have Joshua with me every day, and almost every time I go out...and I love it that way and I plan it that way. Part of my whole purpose with how I've raised Joshua is education. I want people to see us interacting as a family and realize that people with Down Syndrome have soooo much to offer. And so much to teach us. So one of my goals is to connect with people as we are out and about. Joshua opens many doors and opportunities to share about God's faithfulness.

I pray that I am always aware of this.

Clark's girlfriend works in the coffee shop at her college. They had a big safety meeting one day right before school started. One of the scenarios was on what to do if an intruder came into one of the buildings. They were told to RUN if they could...or HIDE if they couldn't. And they were not to be confrontational.

I told Jim that if I have Joshua with me...running anywhere fast is going to be an issue, because I'm gonna be dragging 120 pounds of WHATISGOINGONMOM with me.

It's something I think about more often these days.

I feel like we...as a society...are losing our minds. George Clooney is getting married today and the news is reporting that his wedding cost upwards of 13 million dollars.

13 MILLION DOLLARS.

I'm all for people doing what they want when it comes to their own wedding...if they can afford it, what should any of us even say? I'm just having a hard time imagining what in the world costs THAT MUCH. And when they wake up in the morning, all the food and drinks will have been consumed, the flowers will have wilted, the pictures will have all been taken, the tablecloths will be balled up for the cleaners, the band will have gone home, the chairs will have been put up, the tuxes returned, the dress will never be worn again. And you're THIRTEEN MILLION DOLLARS poorer. It sounds like the dumbest thing in the world to me.

Whatever.

And another thing...the Duggers' have 19 children. If it's gonna be newsworthy every time one of them gets married, or pregnant...if we have to see pictures of their growing "baby bumps" on our news-feeds every minute of every day...then I seriously don't know how anything in this world will ever get done. I love the Duggers', and I know they are on TV...but LEAVE THEM ALONE.

I just feel like we will all be better off if we maybe spend as much OR MORE time investing in our marriages than on our weddings...if we don't model our behavior or our fashion after the Kardashians...if we don't get our theology from Oprah, or take parenting advice from Whoopie Goldberg.

No offense to any of them, but GOD GAVE US BRAINS, PEOPLE.

"Listen, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD alone. And you must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength." Deuteronomy 6:4

No comments:

Post a Comment