Monday, September 8, 2014

College Ministry Dinner

In other news, as I write this, there are 3 hummingbirds and a wasp out fighting at the hummingbird feeders.

(sigh)

We had a good Saturday and Sunday. Quiet and low-key. Holly and Aaron went to the Razorback game (AGAIN) up on Fayetteville. They are just the social butterflies. (wink!)

On Sunday, we went to Sunday School and Church. Our small group class had volunteered to feed the college kids on Sunday night. The plan was to have 6 pans of beef spaghetti and 6 pans of chicken spaghetti, 6 pans of brownies, 6 people to bring 2 dozen cookies each, salad for 100...and tons of garlic bread. I signed up to bring 2 pans of chicken spaghetti and 1 pan of brownies.

I boiled the chicken on Saturday night, so I would have that out of the way. After our lunch on Sunday, I got started on my food. I put the pasta on to boil and at the same time put the sauce ingredients together on another burner. While that all cooked, I mixed up my brownies and got them into the oven.

Everything turned out great!

I met some of the other women up at our church at 3:30 to get set up. I was kind of nervous about it because our class is really big and I don't know many of the women. I get into class late every Sunday because of choir...and I leave as soon as class is over because of choir. Makes it hard to socialize.

But everyone was soooo friendly and everyone worked well together.

We had 80-90 college students there to eat our home-cooked meal. It was such a fun time! I am so glad I decided to participate!

After the meal, we had to clean everything up. I finally got home at 7 p.m. Exhausted, but happy!

Early this morning, my daughter-in-law texted me to say that Logan got out their iron for the very first time to iron his shirt before church.

The only reason I'm not questioning why this is the first time he is using the iron AFTER 3 1/2 MONTHS OF MARRIAGE, is because I know my son. All of my children know HOW to iron. My boys just prefer the throw-your-clothes-into-the-dryer-with-a-Bounce-sheet-for-a-few-minutes ironing method. (sigh)

Morgan said that she started to smell something burning and went in to find that Logan had left the paper cover on the iron and it was burning.

Eeek!

And an hour later, she posted a picture of the two of them at church. They were the greeters for the morning! (Logan's shirt looked really smooth and neat!) The picture put a big smile on my face!

I was excited to see them serving at church. For the past few Sundays, our pastor has been talking to us about how many of our high school kids never darken the door of a church after they graduate. We live in a town with three colleges...and one of them, the largest one, is literally in the back yard of our church.

I am thrilled that Logan and Morgan chose to get connected and involved in their church. We are so thankful for the church family there who reached out to them from their very first visit over 4 years ago...and pulled them in and loved on them. It blessed them and it has blessed us as well.

There are many ways to serve in a church. Whether you are a teacher, leader, singer, baby-holder, greeter...or a faithful attender...you are filling an important role in your church and your church needs ALL OF YOU.

"God has placed each of the members in the body just as He decided. If they were all the same member, where would the body be? So now there are many members, but one body." 1 Corinthians 12:18-20

No comments:

Post a Comment