Monday, September 15, 2014

Nine-Eleven

So, one day last week, our local meteorologist predicted rain and some storms...and I convinced Joshua to stay home from Therapeutic Recreation (TR) that day.

And I don't feel one bit bad about it.

I love that Joshua has a group of FRIENDS that love him and he loves them. I love that he can hang out with them and learn with them (and fuss with them).

I vowed a long time ago to do my best to give Joshua a good life. He is just so precious to our family, and he is dependent on others for a lot of things. He would be "fine" for us to just drag him around with us to all of our (and our other kids') activities.

And we have...and we do.

But I want for him to be more than "fine." I want for him to have opportunities and experiences that are ALL HIS.

Some days, the 35 minute drive to and from Little Rock gets a little taxing. But then I look over at those brown eyes and see that sweet smile...and, I don't know, my heart just melts and my attitude changes. Most days, anyway.

I know that Joshua would love to be able to jump in a car and do his own thing, but he can't. And, you know, as frustrated as I sometimes get? It takes a lot of patience on Joshua's part to constantly wait on someone else's schedule and timing to work things out for him.

He is just so sweet.

On Thursday, I knew his group of FRIENDS were supposed to "hike" at Pinnacle Mountain...and I am using the term "hike" loosely. They stay on the flat path that goes at the base of Pinnacle, because two of the FRIENDS are in wheelchairs and a couple of them use canes. Most of them have physical issues of one kind or another that make it difficult to walk on hilly, curvy, unfamiliar surfaces.

Anyway, it was raining and storming on Thursday morning, and I knew their plans would change to an indoor activity...so we just stayed home. We "hanged around" (Joshua's words) the house all morning, and it was glorious! I got a lot of writing done, and worked out in the garage. Then I asked Joshua, "what would you think about going to Kroger...and then maybe to Chick-Fil-A for lunch?"

Probably the fastest he's ever gotten ready.

The boy loves him some Chick.

In the Chick-Fil-A drive-thru line Joshua was looking at Facebook on his phone. He said, "I saw on Facebook that Marci is wearing her red, white and blue shirt to TR for 9/11."

I said, "I saw that."

Joshua said, "Darn-it (DAH-NET)...I'm not there."

I said, "Well, let's see...you're wearing a white shirt, and I'm wearing blue jeans, so we're kind of representing America." Then, I looked at myself, and looked at him and what he was wearing. "But I don't think either one of us is wearing any red."

Joshua looked me up and down, looked at himself up and down...and, then, I kid you not, raised up one leg of his shorts and looked...ummm...up them.

He said, "nope. Wearing blue undies."

"Treat others the same way you want them to treat you." Luke 6:31

No comments:

Post a Comment