Friday, January 2, 2015

New Year's 2015 Re-Cap #1: Comfy Clothes

Well, hello there blog! I missed ye!

We just got back from spending several days in Texas visiting my family. I AM SO TIRED! Late nights, early mornings...we had a lot of fun! While my physical body is here, my heart is still with my family. And my mind fell out somewhere between Gurdon and Arkadelphia (you L.A. people know what I'm talking about!).

(that's Lower Arkansas).

I don't get to see my family much. My Dad and his wife live in the Tulsa area, and my two sisters and 1 brother live in the DFW area. We always look forward to the holidays when we can all get together for several days. Since most of our family lives in Texas, we typically travel there from Arkansas...and my Dad and Clara travel there from Oklahoma. It's worked out great for many years, but we may have to end up making a change soon because of the health and mobility of my Dad. Or the lack thereof.

Anyway, when I travel...I dress comfortably. I am not my mother, who would arrive at her destination looking like she had just come from a photo shoot.

I remember my Mom said that when we were little, and we traveled "home" to Virginia to see my grandmother, my parents would stop at a gas station in my grandmother's town...and they would change our clothes and fix our hair and get us all pretty-lookin' before we arrived. I guess when you don't see your family but once a year, if that, you want to make a good impression. I don't know.

What I DO know is all that is lost on me, because that is NOT me.

No ma'am.

I also knew that, even tho my Honda Pilot claims to "seat 8 comfortably," something my older children would like to debate...it would be crowded. We only had 5 in our vehicle....the other 4 rode in Aaron-the-son-in-law's car...but we did not have an inch to spare.

We left early in the morning, so I got up and dressed quickly. I didn't want to wear any of my "cute" clothes to just ride in the car all day, so I wore black leggings with blue shorts over them...a long-sleeved white t-shirt with writing on it...my black, monogrammed, puffer vest...and a black and white striped scarf.

I really thought the scarf took the ensemble to another level.

But apparently not, because after 7 hours in the car, when we arrived at my sister's house, the first thing everyone said after they hugged me was, "nice outfit, Moose."

And then they all started dying laughing.

Seriously?

Because it's like I told them: "if I want to be made fun of for everything I say and do and wear...I can stay home and let my boys do that for me!"

"Do not be afraid, for I am with you; I will gather your children from east and west." Isaiah 43:5

2 comments:

  1. I've been waiting for an update! Lol! Remember I'm in Mcalester if you ever want to have lunch!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I totally forgot about that! Maybe I can put that on my list of things to do this year! :) Happy New Year!

      Delete