Tuesday, January 13, 2015

January:The Month of Possibilities

It's January. Did ya know?

One of my friends said she had the "Januaries..." You know, that blah feeling that comes after the busyness and fun of the holiday season?

And, doesn't everything look so BARE without the Christmas decorations?

Yes, yes it does.

It's sad.

For me, January means I rolled over this morning to look at the time on my phone...and noticed that it is JANUARY 13th. THE 13TH. Seriously? How did THAT happen?

I'm a little ashamed to admit that I still have my December calendar on my refrigerator.

I know.

January also means that, if you look out in our backyard, you can still see the tops of our pumpkins (from our Fall porch decorations) sticking out of Jim's garden. He threw them in there for "mulch."

January means that I probably have not gotten all of my Christmas decorations back up in the attic yet.

January means that school has started back...and it has been hard to get back into the routine.

January means that it's COLD...and I don't want to get out very much.

January means that I really miss my family.

January also means that it's a new year...time for a fresh start. By now, most people have chosen their "word of the year." Bible Studies are gearing up. We are reassessing our eating habits...and vowing to be more active. We promise to get together more with our friends, and to keep in touch better with our families...to love more, pray more, forgive more.

Ahhh...January. The month of possibilities.

For me, this is catch-up time, because I feel like I've been in a post-holiday fog.

This week, my house will be back in order. All of it. My meals will be planned...my refrigerator and pantry will be stocked. My "supply closet," which was ransacked over the holidays, will be re-stocked this week.

I'm fighting against the "Januaries." For me, it has to be intentional, especially with the cold, dreary weather we've been having around here...because what I realllllly want to do is lie on the couch and watch movies and eat popcorn out of a can wait for warm and sunny weather.

How do you fight it? Well, like the Fanny Pack Mom suggests, you fight it with prayer. You fight it with Bible Study. You fight it with exercise and activity and getting organized. You fight it by finding ways to minister to others. Nothing beats the blahs of January like getting the focus off of yourself and looking around for opportunities show God's love to someone else. You fight it by doing some of those projects that you've been putting off. I'm trying to one of those things every day. Today, I (finally) got all of my Snow Village put back up in the attic. It's sad, because I love it so much! It takes so long to get it all out before Christmas that I usually leave it out until the first of February. This year, I don't know...I'm ready for ORDER...so I put it all away.

It's January. If you're reading here, it means that God allowed you to live another day. Be intentional with your time. January is a month full of new opportunities and possibilities!

"Look, I am about to do something new; even now it is coming. Do you not see it? Indeed, I will make a way in the wilderness, rivers in the desert." Isaiah 43:19

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad someone else gets the januaries! I was ready to get all back on schedule this week and then strep throat hit! The warm weather made everyone feel better today tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I completely agree! The warm and sunny weather makes everything SO much better!

      Delete