Monday, August 17, 2015

HAIRSPRAY and Dorm Storm

So, last night, I wrote a lonnng post where I vented sweetly wrote about something that was mildly frustrating bothering me...and without any reason...it completely poofed away.

THERE'S YOUR SIGN.

So I didn't even post. Maybe another day I will talk about that subject.

Maybe not.

Probably not.

Just thought I would put up a few random things up tonight.

Last Wednesday, Joshua's Therapeutic Recreation group went to the local dinner theater, and they had a blast. They got to see "HAIRSPRAY." We have the DVD here at home, and the soundtrack. Joshua has watched it...he just didn't really get "IN" to it like Holly and I did. I thought about trying to get the DVD out before he went, to give him a refresher on what the musical would be like, but I decided against it. I thought about trying to tell him a little about the basic premise of the show, but then I decided against it. I would much rather him come up with his own thoughts on a matter, than for me to unintentionally influence him with my own thoughts and ideas.

I asked him how he liked it and he said, "it was really good." He said, "there were a lot of Black people in the show, and they were very stylish."

I think it's fair to say that Joshua likes the fashion of the 60's.

He also told me there was a 7 foot tall woman that played Tracy's Mom. Holly said, "are you SURE it wasn't a man dressed up like a woman, because John Travolta dressed up like a woman to play that part in the movie." Joshua said, "NOOOO...it was a woman...a very tall woman."

Holly asked him what he ate, because it's a buffet. He said, "I had some fish and potatoes and green beans." Holly said, "that sounds good."
He continued, "some corn, roast beef and ham."
Holly said, "JOSHUA! You ate THREE kinds of meat?"
Joshua continued, "and a roll."

And he always drinks about 1/2 cup of coffee at the dinner theater...and only at the dinner theater.

We had a quiet weekend...I wrote about it here.

Every year, our church helps with a ministry called "Dorm Storm," at one of the colleges in our town. We bring anywhere from 150-200 people from our church, and we help the freshmen move into their dorms. That means unloading cars, carrying refrigerators up to the 3rd or 4th floor, or helping put together a piece of furniture. Whatever it takes. All in the name of outreach.

Joshua is not really able to participate in this. I mean, he could if they would find him a job he could do...but it was really hot and it's just easier for us to skip out on this. So, Jim, Clark and Aaron-the-son-in-law all went to Dorm Storm. Joshua, Holly and I went to church. Holly sang on Praise Team both services, and I sang in the choir. The three of us sat together in early church, and it was a great service.

The plan was for us to leave after we sang in late church, and come home. I was going to let Joshua sit on a couch in the church lobby until our choir song was over...about 15 minutes after the service starts. When our music minister found out our plans, he said, "why don't you let him sit up on the stage...out of view, but where he can see and you can see him?"

I seriously almost cried.

He went and made sure there was a chair up there for him. When our choir filed in, I could see Joshua sitting over on the far side and he just grinned. When the choir led the church in worship songs, I looked over at Joshua, and even tho no one could see him, he was standing up...singing his heart out.

I seriously almost cried.

It seems like such a little thing, but to me...it was a big thing. Because we haven't always received this type of treatment...even at church. Such a sweet act of kindness. I am forever grateful to the ones who make the effort to reach out to my child.

"And if you give even a cup of cold water to one of the least of My followers, you will surely be rewarded.” Matthew 10:42

No comments:

Post a Comment