Sunday, May 3, 2015

Senior Sunday: Clark

Well, I am happy to report that I made it through Clark's Senior Banquet AND Senior Sunday without crying.

I know. I kind of surprised myself. Especially when we can sing a song in choir practice, and I will practically bawl my eyes out.

I think that, because we don't really have deep connections with the other graduates and their families, it just wasn't that emotional. The families whose kids started out in Kinder and have gone all the way through school together...they had a harder time.

And, don't get me wrong...the closer it gets to August, the more emotional I'm gonna be. And I don't even want to imagine leaving Clark on moving day. I've done it 2 times before...it ain't gonna be pretty.

But today was good.

We invited my in-laws to come up for Senior Sunday at our church. We told them to be here by 9 a.m.

They got into town by 8.

They went straight to our church. Jim got a text from his dad that read: "we at church. we parked by trees. no hurry. we ok."

My father-in-law is so funny!

We decided to head on up there.

Remember how I said that we were all gonna wear purple for Senior Sunday?

WELL.

This morning was kind of hectic, but we got to the church parking lot at the same time as Holly and Aaron. We parked beside my in-laws and all got out of our cars. We hugged necks and talked for a minute. Jim kind of looked around and, I KID YOU NOT, said, "what's the deal with all the purple?"

Oh no he di'-in't.

I said, "I TOLD everyone that we were wearing purple on Senior Sunday to support Clark...and because he's going to OBU, and their colors are purple and gold."
Jim: "You didn't tell ME that."
Me: "Yes, I did."
Jim: "I don't have anything purple."
Me: "Yes, you do. We.have.had.this.conversation. You have a purple striped shirt that I asked you to wear that today."

It was at this point that I noticed that Jim was wearing a BLUE shirt.

BLUE.

And no part of purple and gold is BLUE.

We usually go to Small Group and then to 2nd service church, but today we went to early service...and then went to lunch with my in-laws during the 2nd hour. During the service, they lined the graduates up at the front of the sanctuary. The Youth Pastor introduced each one, and told everyone a little about their future plans...and they showed a slide show. There was no emotional music or anything, so I was good.

We enjoyed visiting with my in-laws. They went by to see Holly and Aaron's house...and then they came over to our house for a minute. I was able to show my mother-in-law the "ancestry wall" of family pictures that Holly and I did in my dining room. She LOVED it!

And then they left.

Holly and Aaron came over to swim for a little while. Jim, Joshua, Clark, Faith and I all went to Baccalaureate. When it was over, we decided to go eat at IHOP because we're classy like that. I texted Holly and Aaron on the way, and they met us there.

We had a great weekend. Clark said that he feels sufficiently affirmed and blessed...and now wishes everyone would just leave him alone.

Actually, he didn't say that last part, but he's not one to like all of this attention...so I'm feeling like he WOULD say something like that if he wasn't worried about hurting everyone's feelings.

We missed Logan and Morgan this weekend. He had to work on Saturday, and I told them we did not expect them to drive in just for Sunday.

And now I'm done for the night. We got home from dinner at 7, and I'm still in the "church dress" I put on at 8:30 this morning. I really wanted to change into some comfy clothes, but it would've been for just an hour until time for me to shower and change into my pajammies.

BUT, in the time it took me to write this post, stopping and starting because of all the comings and goings that are going on over here, it's been an hour, and now I'm going to shower and get my pajammies on.

"So teach us to number our days, that we may present to You a heart of wisdom." Psalm 90:12

No comments:

Post a Comment