Monday, May 11, 2015

Mother's Day Weekend

I had a great Mother's Day weekend.

On Friday, we took Joshua down to Little Rock to a dance with his FRIENDS. One of the private schools in town saves their Prom decorations, and then throws a big "Prom" for a group of special needs teens and adults. It is so fun! Joshua has been several times.

We met up with Jenni-the-girlfriend and her parents in the parking lot, and we took lots of pictures. I posted some on my Facebook...and maybe on IG (martythemoose). The kids at the school made Joshua, Jenni, and all the FRIENDS feel like rock stars. They cheered as they walked in on the red carpet, and they took lots of pictures. Once inside, they had a photo-booth with lots of props. I saw a picture on-line of Joshua and Jenni. Joshua was wearing green "hulk hands."

Of COURSE he was!

And there were plenty of people there to dance with the FRIENDS, because isn't the worst thing about a dance...worrying you won't have anyone who will dance with you? At THIS dance, EVERYONE dances, and there is no shortage of buddies.

While he was at the dance, Jim and I, Clark, Holly and Aaron-the-son-in-law, went to eat at a restaurant called the The Main Cheese. It's a gourmet grilled cheese place and it was yummy! They had burgers there, too, THANK THE LORD. Because: Aaron.

And they had salads, soups and desserts.

We hung out there for a while, just visiting, and then went to pick up Joshua and Jenni. On the way home, Jenni started freaking out because she couldn't find the promise ring Joshua had given her several years ago. She only wears it for special occasions, because of this very reason. So there was a big commotion going on in the back-seat, and lots of quiet talking. At one point, they both had the flashlights on their phones on, and were looking on the floor-board for that ring. Jenni was saying, "oh well, we can get another one, maybe..." and Joshua was saying, "yes, maybe."

And Jim was driving with his chin clinched because no...there would not be another ring bought anytime soon, if he had anything to say about it.

In the end, after Jenni was safely inside her house, her Mom texted to say she'd found the ring stuck in a corner of Jenni's wallet. Whew!

On Saturday, we met our friends Clay and Lydia for breakfast at IHOP. They live in Oklahoma now, but try to stop by when they are passing through...and we LOVE seeing them and their little girl. They came out to our house after breakfast, and stayed all afternoon. Such a fun day. And then we had an early dinner at what my mother-in-law calls, "The Out-BACK," and came straight home. We were having a million storms, and had the tv on to monitor the weather. I just remember asking Jim if he thought it was too early for me to take a shower and put on my pjs.

It was not even 7 p.m.

On Sunday, we had a great morning at church. Logan and Morgan had texted to ask us if we wanted to meet them half-way for dinner (ummm...HECK YEAH), so I told Jim and the boys that I would be just fine with going home after church, and scrounging the frig for re-runs (what Joshua calls left-overs). So that's what we did.

And then later, we went to meet Logan and Morgan for dinner. Morgan had invited her family as well. It was such a great weekend and such a fun day.

But on the way back home, I got so sad. WHAT IS UP WITH THAT? I don't even know. I think it's just the whole Mother's Day hype. I don't really think about being a "motherless daughter" or a "motherless mother," until I read it somewhere, and then I'm, like, "well THAT stinks."

My children were so precious this year. They got me all kinds of flowers and gifts. I am really humbled that they chose to express their love in that way. I am adamant about "no gifts" for every holiday. I mean, there's nothing I need, and nothing my kids can give me that can make me love them any more than I already do.

Well, unless they give me cookies.

Or maybe a cupcake.

"So give your father and mother joy! May she who gave you birth be happy." Proverbs 23:25

No comments:

Post a Comment