Saturday, May 2, 2015

Date Night, Warrior Dash and Senior Dinner

Last night, it was just Joshua and I at home. Jim and Clark had gone down to my in-law's house for the night. They (Jim and Clark...NOT my in-laws) were running the Warrior Dash this morning, and it was closer for them to stay down there...and not have to get up at 5 in the morning.

Joshua declared it "date night," last night, and he planned out our night. First, he wanted to eat at this taco place...and then he wanted to get Pineapple Whip. And he wanted to finish the evening watching "Mulan" at home.

Joshua decided that we should invite Clark's girlfriend, Faith, to come with us on our date...so we did. When we pulled up at Faith's house, Joshua ran up to the door to get her. Then, he walked to our car and opened her door. So sweet, right?

We had a great time at dinner, and we did go get Pineapple Whip. It was so crowded in our little town, because of an annual festival called "Toad Suck." I wrote all about that, and how I feel about the use of the word, "SUCK," here. I took Faith home after that. I told her she was welcome to come watch Mulan with us, but I wanted her to have her own car. I didn't want her to feel trapped. And, of course, she's a college girl...there's a slight chance that she has a life outside of dating my son, and she might accidentally enjoy a Friday night hanging out with friends her own age...instead of an old lady like me!

I spent most of Saturday morning just getting the house together. My in-laws are coming tomorrow for Senior Sunday, and I kind of want to have my dining room all put back together. I think my mother-in-law, especially, is gonna love the wall of pictures in there.

Tonight, tho, we had Clark's Senior Dinner at church. The youth minister had sent out a letter about it over a month ago. We had to send pictures for a slide show, and he asked for the dads (or the moms, or grandfathers, or uncles, or big brothers) to give a blessing to the graduate. He used some Scripture verses from the Old Testament about different ones from the Bible...giving a blessing to their child, and Jim was about to break into hives thinking that he was going to have to lay a mantle over Clark and pronounce some really important things on him...and maybe give him some goats and the family farm.

Turns out, all our Youth Pastor wanted was a prayer for our Senior. You know, for wisdom and discernment and all of that. Jim said, "well, I can do THAT."

Clark was nervous thinking that the whole night was going to be very awkward. He was all worried about what Jim would say...and if I would say anything. Because, you know, I can be all about the humorous. Some of the parents both spoke, sometimes it was just the mom or dad. One kid's grandmother spoke. And a couple of kids had their older sisters speak, and that was alternately awkward and funny...because each speaker held a mic.

We are very thankful for the people who have spoken truth into Clark, and invested in his life over the past 19 years.

The best thing was when we got in the car to head home. Clark said, 'well, it wasn't as awkward as I thought it would be...and it was fun at the end, talking to everyone, and getting a group picture." He said that he liked what Jim said, but that it really wasn't necessary, because we "affirm him on a regular basis."

I mean, I'm done. Because did you just read that?

He acknowledged that there was no need to say anything publicly, because we affirm him on a regular basis.
And, we do, or try to...but with kids you just never know what they get out of all the rambling we do.

I may never hear that again, but for that tiny second of time...I felt like we did something right in this whole parenting gig.

Jim did a great job "blessing" Clark. When he was done, I read a Haiku, and did a lyrical dance to a song I wrote entitled, "Please Don't Leave Me."

And that's how we can't go back to our church anymore.

"The godly are showered with blessings..." Proverbs 10:6

No comments:

Post a Comment