Thursday, May 14, 2015

A Wreck And A Cupcake

How good of a driver are you?

I feel like I'm a pretty good one. I obey the speed limit (most of the time); I'm a seat-belt freak...gotta have it on...everyone in the car has to have it on.

I pass on the left, and I let people merge.

Unless there have been signs for, like, 3 miles that say LEFT LAND ENDS...MERGE NOW...and drivers who think that does not apply to them and will stay in the left lane until the last.possible.minute. and then try to kill us all by suddenly swerving into my lane. Then, I can't lie...I don't have a lot of mercy for ya.

I'm not quite as defiant to say, like this one lady did on our first visit to our Sunday School class, "I will WRECK MY CAR before I let one of those cars in."

She had a license-plate with our church's name on it.

But, generally, I think I'm a pretty considerate driver.

I don't text and drive. I used to...years ago. But now I know better, and it's just not worth it. In fact, I rarely even talk on my phone, because I want to be so aware of my surroundings. And I want to keep my family safe.

But just check out the drivers next to you on any given day. Joshua and I take the Interstate down to Little Rock 3-4 days a week. Most of the people we pass, and most of the people who pass us, are on their phones...texting.

I'm not talking having-the-phone-down-in-their-laps-because-they-think-you-can't-see-them type-of-texting. No...straight up, phone out front...texting.

In fact, JUST YESTERDAY, someone passed us texting and Joshua said, "where is a cop when you need one?"

Side note: Holly and I passed a guy on the Interstate the other day...he'd been weaving all over the road. When we got close enough to pass him, dude was PLAYING A GUITAR WHILE HE WAS DRIVING.

There are a couple stretches of the interstate where we have to slow down and/or stop nearly every morning because people cannot drive and get all crazy. So this morning, when I was in one of those places and saw the brake lights, I slowed down...and then I stopped.

I remember looking in my rear-view mirror and thinking, "this guy is not going to stop."

And he didn't.

And he hit me...HARD...and pushed my car up towards the truck in front of us. I saw it happening...and I braced myself for the air-bags. But, by the grace of God, we didn't hit him. It was a miracle...is all I can say.

The guy who hit us was driving a large Chevy truck that was pulling a trailer. Like, an enclosed trailer full of equipment of some sort. The sign on the truck said it was a properties management company, and that they did "everything under the sun."

Oooooooookay.

I was able to drive my vehicle to the side of the road. This particular area is one of the worst places in the world to have to stop. I was shaking. I don't care about my life or my car, but DO NOT HURT MY CHILDREN.

I wish I could say that my first thought was of thankfulness...but my first thought, the very, VERY first one, was to walk back and ask the driver "WHAT THE WHAT?" But then I looked over at my precious Joshua, and just seeing that he was okay, filled me with so much peace.

The the highway patrol showed up, and an ambulance showed up.

And then Jim showed up, and, in his organized way, took care of everything. I always feel so much better in a crisis if he's there.

When the policeman was finished, he came over to make sure we were okay, and asked if we had any more questions. I asked him if he would talk to Joshua for a minute. He said, "sure...is he okay?" Because I made Joshua stay in the car with his seat-belt on while we were on the side of the road. I told him that Joshua loved policemen, and it would make him feel better. So the officer went over to Joshua's side and said, "hey, buddy...you okay?" And I heard Joshua tell him that he was so scared...and it broke my heart.

I realize this is probably unrealistic, but I never want Joshua to feel fear. Or pain. I just want him to feel happy, safe and loved.

Before we left the scene, Joshua said, "we should thank God for keeping us safe," so right there on the side of the Interstate...cars whizzing by...he took my hand and prayed.

Jim said I could follow him back home, but I reminded him that it was Joshua's last day of Therapeutic Recreation until the summer session starts, and by golly...he had to be there because the FRIENDS were going out for lunch!

I guess we'd have gone by ambulance, if we'd been hurt, because Joshua was going.

One way or another, he was going.

We are shaken up, but we are fine...which, big shout-out to the makers of the Honda Pilot. The truck that hit us was big and heavy, and pulling a full trailer. I drove away; their truck was towed. The people in the truck are fine as well (although I won't be using their landscaping services anytime soon) (or ever) (and I don't know that the driver was on the phone...I was just making a point that people do not pay attention any more, and a lot of times, it's related to the cell phone).

Also, in the words of Chi-Fu (from Mulan), "you men owe me a new pair of slippers!"

Or, at least a diet Dr. Pepper and a cupcake.

"...He will watch over his people like a shepherd watches over his flock.” Jeremiah 31:10

No comments:

Post a Comment