Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Animal House and Holly's New Job!

Yesterday was a very unusual day. Jim had to go back to his business meeting, and he said he could take Joshua to Therapeutic Recreation on his way. What the WHAAAAAT?

And, not only THAT...he said that he would probably be able to pick him up and bring him home, too!

It was like a little May miracle.

It was really strange not to drive into Little Rock...and it was really strange that Joshua wasn't here. My ears are ALWAYS tuned in to him.

I'd like to say that, while Joshua was gone, I took advantage of the situation and completely cleaned his room and bathroom, and went thru his closet, and bagged up lots of clothes and shoes for Goodwill.

That would've been a nice thing to say, huh? And an even nicer thing to DO.

I just did some regular household stuff around here. Holly was off from school, but still had paperwork to do. She came over at lunch, and we ate stuff from the frig. Clark is on the downhill slope from school, and he showed up a little after 1 p.m. They hung out at the pool and I tried to let them have some time to visit.

I hadn't planned on fixing dinner, because we had an awards ceremony for Clark last night. Well, Clark came home and said he was told the awards night was not mandatory, and he didn't really want to sit through a 1 1/2 hour ceremony when he could just pick up his honor cords in the office today.

This is the same kid who was nominated for Prom King and decided, "thank you, but no..." and did not turn in the nomination acceptance form...and did not go to Prom.


And, also, I was in my bedroom this morning and heard an unfamiliar noise...and then saw an unfamiliar shadow walking down the hall. Every sense in my body was instantly on high alert...and then Clark walked by. I forgot he was still home. His end-of-the-year test schedule may literally (no-no word) be the death of me.

My heart is still racing.

Anyway, Joshua had a good time at TR. They basically "hanged around" (his words) the TR Center in the morning, and then a string quartet from the Arkansas Symphony Orchestra came to play a little for them. Joshua said, "it was so peaceful that I kind of dozed off."

Which is what you want when you're a classical musician with years of training, and you give up an hour of your morning, to go lay some culture on a group of adults who have special needs...and they all fall out asleep.

He said that they played several different types of music. He said they played the folk song, "duhzanna." I said, "what?" He said, "duhzanna." I said, "how does that go?" He said, "oh, duh-zanna...cry for me...Loo-EEE-zeeanna...banjo...knee."

O Susanna.

He also said they played some Native American songs that were really peaceful, because they were instrumental. I said, "what?" Because I'm not for sure that I've ever heard Native American music. He said, " know...NO WORDS."

Yes, I am aware of the definition of "instrumental."

This morning, the group went to the Animal House, and petted and played with the animals there. They were also filmed by a local TV station. I had to check his backpack really well when I got to the Center to pick him up. Don't want him trying to smuggle any kitties home!

The best news of the day came when we were on our way home this afternoon. HOLLY GOT HER JOB IN THE NICU!


And, the job she had applied for was for the night-shift. I was not too thrilled about that, because it would mean that she and Aaron would have the exact opposite schedule, and I am of the mind-set that married people...especially newly-married people...should spend a lot of time together.

She wasn't as concerned about it as I was, because she saw it as a temporary situation. She said it was a way to get her foot in the door, and then the next time a day-shift job opened up, she would stand a better chance at getting it...because she would already work there.

WELL. Today, when the nursing supervisor called to offer her a position, she said, "I have some other news, too. Are you dead-set on working nights?" Holly said, "No ma'am..." and explained her thoughts on it. The lady said, "well, we've just had a day-shift position open up..."

And the next sound she heard was the phone hit the ground, because Holly dropped it.


The next sound she heard was Holly screaming, because she was so excited. 


The next sound she heard was Holly saying, "I accept!"

We are beyond thankful for God's hand in this whole situation.

"'My purpose will be established, and I will accomplish all My good pleasure;' Calling a bird of prey from the east, the man of My purpose from a far country. Truly I have spoken; truly I will bring it to pass. I have planned it, surely I will do it." Isaiah 46:10-11

No comments:

Post a Comment