Thursday, July 9, 2015

Summer Day Camp: Week 3 and Dr. Larry

We've had a great week. Of course, it started off great because Logan and Morgan were here! But they left early Tuesday morning, and our week got back to normal. Clark and Joshua went down to Little Rock for work and Therapeutic Summer Camp, and I headed to the eye doctor.

I've been using my same lenses for about 3 weeks, because that's how long it took me to get an appointment. I usually don't have to wait that long, but there's a new girl at the office and she didn't know that...well...she didn't know ME. Does that sound like I'm famous? HAHAHA. I WISH. I just know a girl who works there, and she usually takes care of me quickly, because she knows I live out-of-town.

But that girl is fighting a way more important battle than trying to figure out when to fit ME into the schedule. She is fighting cancer. But I finally got in and went for my appointment on Tuesday. And Dr. Larry told me NOT TO WAIT THAT LONG anymore, and to just call "the girl" and she would fit me in. Which, I knew she would...but I felt bad doing that.

It's fine, tho. I probably can't go back there anymore anyway. First of all, Dr. Larry took one look at my lenses and said, "TAKE THOSE OUT AND LET'S START OVER." I went to the sink to take them out, and then got up and immediately started "pretend staggering" back to the exam room, over-exaggerating the fact that my vision was now impaired.

(I know...it sounds just as awful to me as I'm typing it)

Well, it freaked Dr. Larry out and he grabbed my arm to steady me. I was howling laughing...but his face was concern mixed with sheer terror. He thought I had actually tripped. As I thought about it later, I remembered that he has a LOT of geriatric patients. I was just joking around...but he was really worried.

"I'll take 'When Funny Goes Too Far' for $200, Alex."

Also, you know how they use different lenses and ask, "which one is better, 1 or 2...1...or 2?"

At one point, I couldn't decide between "1...and 2..." and he said, "there's not much difference, is there?" And I said, "well, #2 is MORE FUZZIER."

Because you know that Joshua adds "more" and/or "er" to almost every adjective: "more prettier," "more faster," "more hairy-er," etc.

So when "more fuzzier" rolled off my tongue like it was something an educated person would just naturally say in a conversation with their doctor...and after I had just staggered around like a drunk at a wedding less than 5 minutes before...well, it doesn't take a rocket-scientist to figure out that my days visiting Dr. Larry probably needed to be over.

I had a good run. I've been seeing him for over 20 years.

Joshua had a great Tuesday with the FRIENDS. They went swimming, and he ran out of sunscreen because he shared with one of the FRIENDS. And then they came back to the Center for lunch, and brainstormed where the FRIENDS wanted to go for lunch on Wednesday.

Therapeutic Recreation is a division of Little Rock Parks and Rec...and I'm guessing that, like most cities, it's not a huge priority...which means there's not a lot of money. There is just one set of vans that both groups, the adult group and the kid group, have to use. The kid group gets priority in the summer, because they meet 5 days and they have more support. But the two groups try to work together so that the adult group has a few days with the vans.

It's complicated, but Wednesday was going to be the day when the adult FRIENDS were busting out of the TR Center! Mrs. Sherrie let them "brainstorm" about where they wanted to eat. They came up with a list of 5 restaurants, and then narrowed it down to 3: Corky's BBQ, Chick-Fil-A...and one other. One of the friends reeeeeeally wanted Corky's, and Joshua did, too...but he voted for Chick...and that FRIEND cried her eyes out like she had just lost her best friend.

Joshua told her, "I know you wanted Corky's...I did, too...but we can't eat there without Jenni."

Joshua's girlfriend, Jenni, had said she would not be at Summer Camp all week. Joshua SAID he was "relieved," because he could "relax" and not have to worry about drama.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Then he spent all weekend worried about Jenni not being there and missing everything.

And, remember, on the days they are there together...they barely even talk to each other.

They make my head numb.

The FRIEND agreed that they shouldn't go to Corky's without Jenni. In fact, when it came to the craft time later, she made her craft and said she was making it to give to Jenni.

Well, then...guess who showed up on Wednesday...after saying she was going to be gone all week? JENNI. And she and Joshua did not talk and did not sit together at lunch OR on the van.

But then they were on the phone for 40 minutes last night, talking about everything under the sun.

WHAT THE WHAT?

One thing we overheard (Jenni has gotten a personal trainer, to not only work with her exercise-wise, but also help her with nutrition choices): Joshua said, "you've lost some weight and now I can't keep my hands off of you."

(OHMYWORD)

"Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person." Colossians 4:6

No comments:

Post a Comment